Problems with voltage drop

TURBOZ

I have had a big problem with my voltage droping under wot. My fuel pump is not getting the voltage it needs so my injectors are being over worked. Here is a base idea of my electrical system.
All the main wiring consists of 1 gauge, this includes, the batt, alt, and the main power block. Then two grounds are made one to the chasis and one on the block(1 gauge). The battary is located mid way in the car. All fuel pump wiring is 10 gauge at about 10 ft long, which should be plenty. The alternator is a 200amp with adjustable voltage regulator. The alt has been sent back to be tested and nothing is wrong with it.
Under wot, votage will go from 14 down to 12.5ish volts. My belt is not slipping either. I have worked with power master to try and resolve this problem with no luck. I have tried a few stock alts with the same results. Im running a weldon 2025 with should support more fuel then my car is capable of using.

Any tips/ideas/ anything would be greatly appriciated!

that one ought wire sounds like it isnt wound tight enough.

what brand wire is it? what strand is it?

BW

When I moved the battary is when I changed over to the 1 gauge. The factory 4 gauge did the same thing. I dont know what strand that wire is, I got it from a welding shop.
voltage is measured with the FAST system.

there is your problem-

you may be running welding cable that is coarse strand wire making the voltage drop-

i did the same thing on my car and am battleing VD i spoke with a electrician, and they told me to run a finer strand wire.

you might post another thread and ask the difference or if it will cure your problem, i was told by 2 people thats what my problem is and that would cure it
BW

Probably need a good meter or two in the car on the alternator, battery, and fuel pump itself with a co-pilot to do the readings at WOT to see where the drop occurs.

Where is the Fast measurement taken from? It's own power wire? Or does it monitor the fuel pump?

Originally posted by TURBOZ
The wire im using has thin strands. Dont think this is my problem

well, so is welding cable, but it doesnt work too good... please find out what kind of cable you have in the car and see if it is the right application for a car.

i would hate to see you spend alot of time just to find out that it actually may be the cable you have.

put the stock batt cable back on and see if the problem goes away

BW