Problems with SMC alcohol inj

nullrout

Here is the deal.

My combo is as listed in my sig...212/212 flat tappet cam, ported iron heads, ported stock intake, GN1 SLIC, CPT-66 turbo, Gen2 MAFT and 3.5 MAF with 60# injectors and TT alcohol chip (burned for my combo with 24-26 PSI in mind). Combo is currently set to around 18 pounds of boost with an RJC boost controller. It runs well with just a tinge of knock if I stay in the throttle. If I moderate the throttle and keep it around 16 PSI it runs like a raped ape.

I have a SMC progressive Alky kit. It has 100% methanol in the tank and seems to work. If I blip the "spray" button my AFR gauge goes rich. I'm trying to begin to turn the boost up and tune a powerlogger.

Here is my problem...whenever the SMC kit sprays it will bog the engine. Doesn't matter if Min is set to 7 pounds or 18 pounds...the engine lays down as soon as the "spray" light comes on. The pump/kit sat dormant in the car for almost a year with a broke engine. Has the kit possibly "gone bad" sitting for so long? It doesn't seem to leak anywhere and like I said if you blip the spray it seems to be spraying meth into the intake (AFR gauge goes rich and you can feel the up-pipe get cold).

This SMC kit is making me pull my hair out, and with Steve out of business its kinda hard to get support. I really like the simplistic hookup of the SMC kit...but I'm wondering if its time to bite the bullet and get a kit from Julio.

Any suggestions?

if its bogging its spraying too much alcohol. raise the turn on point to 10 lbs and less progression as boost rises. alcohol is only to supress knock. if it drowns the motor it will bog.

Read the original post...doesn't matter if the turn-on point is 7 or 17 it bogs regardless. I understand the why and how of methanol...I'm more looking for advice from those with tuning/diagnostic experience and where to look and or how to test/fix the SMC kit. I'm not trying to spend 600 bucks to find out it still doesn't run right with alky when I already have 400 in the SMC kit.

if its bogging its spraying too much alcohol. raise the turn on point to 10 lbs and less progression as boost rises. alcohol is only to supress knock. if it drowns the motor it will bog.

My controller on my progressive went bad and was downing my engine.
The fix was I sent the controller by to Steve.
No help since he is OOB.

My controller on my progressive went bad and was downing my engine.
The fix was I sent the controller by to Steve.
No help since he is OOB.

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering...I might have to break out the multi-meter and read the voltages going to the pump to see if it really is "progressive" or not. Anybody have any ideas on what the "expected" output voltage range is for a SMC kit?

Did it ever work fine for you ? Watch your MAF readings when the engine lays down. If the readings are way out of line, you may need to hotwire the MAF translator.

Kit worked fine before the car was parked a year and half ago. The MAF reading is maxed out just before it bogs the engine after it bogs its obviously all over the place as the engine recovers.

i may have had a similiar experience. why its doing it now for you and not before i cant say. theres been plenty of posts on the smc kits scrambling the translator readings. i had it also. julio sells a plug n play for the translator that solved my problem. the pump was sending a frequency that would mess with the translator and the car would act up badly. HTH

Kit worked fine before the car was parked a year and half ago. The MAF reading is maxed out just before it bogs the engine after it bogs its obviously all over the place as the engine recovers.

"scrambling the translator readings."

Sounds to me like this may be the problem. NO reason that the MAF should be maxed at 7# boost.
Turn the boost down, divert the alky spray to the tank, let it turn on, and that will confirm/deny a translator interference problem.

Any idea if the controller interference problem is pressure (alky spray pressure) sensative? I ask because I left the nozzle in the up-pipe and disconnected and divereted the line back to the tank...no issues with that setup. But, the pump running unencumbered isn't pressurizing the alky like it would if it sprayed through nozzle...

Ding Ding Ding we have a WINNER!

Sure 'nough...the SMC/MAF-T interference is in fact pressure sensitive; it has to have enough back pressure on the pump to interfere. As soon as I went for a ride with the nozzle on the line and the line in the tank it would spit and sputter. When I checked the log file the MAF reading was all over the place (from almost 0 to 225 ish).

Looks like I'll be ordering one of Julio's kits.