problems with my tr

morg87t

first off i took the car out to stretch its legs. ran fine . got the car back home now this is what I have going on. what works brake lites ,turn signals , flashers, reverse lites what does not work. interior lite over head lites ,head lites ,hi beams parking lites, radio no lite up just static . also when key is turned on dash switches to metric display . I can switch it to US display turn the key off then back on ,the display goes back to metric. WHAT IS GOING ON can someone please help? thanks TA

I still need help I changed the # 21 fuse CIG/CLK nothing ! cleaned up ground at neg battery to inner fender nothing! cleaned up ground at fire wall nothing !main ground /neg. to block to block looks ok ? what else should I look at , please help thanks TA

Sound like you lost power somewhere. Do you have the means to check power? Volt meter or test light?

RL

It sounds like when you turn the key off the dash is losing memory. Does it run okay when you start it? Is the small wire coming off the positive battery cable all good because if Im not mistaken I think that is the ECU memory. Hopefully someone with knowledge can chime in

the problem seems to be isolated to the one circuit . I do have a volt meter . do I test the circuit at the fuse side or should I loosen the fuse block and test the power into the block? the car runs and drives normal. thanks again for the help! TA

that small wire comming from positive is ecu power yes it is constant and is also a very easy way to reset your ecu to clear codes

Idon't think that wire is where I should be looking . car seems to run ok I did check the condition of the wire at the positive side I recall years ago I had the acid from the battery eat up the connector the car wouldn't even run , I replaced the connector 'car ran fine after. how many ground wires are there and which goes to circuit # 21 in the fuse block? TA

I checked the front side of the fuses with the key in the in the on position with a test lite these fuses had no power at the fuse side INS LPS 5amp CIG CLK 20 amp Tail LP 20 amp the rest show power to them can anyone help? thanx TA

Your going to need a wiring diagram to see what feeds power to those lights that dont have power. If you have a test light I would check the fusible links that are at the starter I think does feed some of the ligths. Fusible links are I believe the three 12 gauge wire that get power at the starter. Poke them a couple inches from the starter with test light and see if they have power ( B+ ).

Go for the starter connections like mentioned above. The main lug has the battery terminal and 3 smaller wires. The 3 smaller wires are the power feeds for the car. They have sealed plastic fuse-able links a few inches from the ends. Possibly one is blown. The wire insulation is usually pulled back from the link exposing the wire. Possible the wire grounded out and blew the fuse. Get under there with your meter and get a look. ;)

RL

do you mean the fusable link could be blown? the fuses in the block are all good just no power at the fuses I stated early yesterday. I did nothave time to mess with it today thanks for the help. TA

Yes. One of the fuse-able links is possibly blown. You can't tell by looking at it. You will have to test for voltage on both side of link.

RL

2009-02-10_000400_blown-fusible-link.gif

Above picture are of the fusible link
There are three fusible links at the starter hooked up together with a big positive wire that comes from the battery. They might not look like the picture above ( bubbled and charred )when bad but the wire inside would be broken.

thanks so much for the help with my problem and the emails too . a friend said there should be a relay in the lighting circuit .would that be true ? he said check power at the relay .could this be a place to be looking ?

I just looked at the sensor locations on gnttype.org and did not see any relays related to the lights so I guess my buddy is wrong about a relay in the circuit. I have some wiring diagrams just looking at them can get a bit confusing.TA