problem with rebuilt tranny

monte379

while back i picked up a 200-4R for free. had it rebuilt. complete rebuild plus tci transcat shift kit, tci performance band, tci hardened stator support, tci tv boost valve(.500), tci low/rev boost valve(.400), 2500 stall converter. the tranny works and shifts great under normal driving but no wot 1-2 shift. i tried in drive and manually shifting but no 1-2 shift at wot, shifts great at 3/4 throtle. cheked tv cable seems fine. i now see by reading some articles on here my first mistake was that i didnt research the 200-4r prior to having it rebuilt. i now see there are manny different v.b's , governors and servo's. i called tci about the problem, they say that some standard 200-4r are like that(no 1-2 wot shift), and they think a different v.b. will fix it but not possitive. i would like to know for sure before i spend the money for a v.b. ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!! the id tag on the transmission is 148-891CTF0081 wish i knew about this site before i started this project !

only drove a couple times with this tranny i usually manually shift when at wot . when manually shifting 2-3 shift seems ok , not as firm as my other tranny thats in the car now but ok. after i could not figure tranny out i put my original tranny back in. but now my original tranny is starting to get tired so i would like to figure this one out before my original one quits.

could the raised pressures from shift kit and boost valves be to much for the stock servo?

If this is in a turbo buick, The Problem is three little letters. TCI. They mass produce transmissions and convertors. It's the luck of the draw when trying to get one of them to work with our setups.

trans is going into a monte ss but not sure what the tranny is out of, tahanks for the tip on tci

what does anyone think about trying a different valve body and servo ? where is the best place to get a good vb at a good price ? is this the right thing to try next or does anyone have a better idea ? any suggestions or idea's would be greatly appreciated ! thanks !!

If you do decide to try another VB get the matching governor to go with it. You might hit the wrecking yard and try to find an AA Cadillac vb/gov combo. Might need to mod the gov to get it to shift where you want. Plenty of info on how to here. Just a search away.

transmission problems

If this is in a turbo buick, The Problem is three little letters. TCI. They mass produce transmissions and convertors. It's the luck of the draw when trying to get one of them to work with our setups.

I found this out back in the mid 90's. The street fighter 200 or whatever it was called performed worse than the boneyard 200 that was in the car when I bought it :eek: Then I learned about some really smart buick 200 tranny builders by the names of Eric Shertz(RIP), Bruce Toelle, Lonnie Diers, Jason White and out of these four transmission builders all of them always performed up to par or better. The one time I bought the Took Crap Immediately of course it let me down.

Contact any of the above mentioned builders when you are tired of playing games.

i'm past tired of playing games that's why i got mad and set aside this tranny and put the original one back in,but know with 215000 miles and near 1200 drag strip passes it is starting to get tired. now that's saying something for 200-4r's even if it is only a 13.50 car and the trans is the original with only a shift kit in it the rest of it is stock ! that is why i am a true believer in the 200-4r. i have had a few 700 's and i don't like them.

i have been researching this problem for a while and the main thing that i have learned is that the 200-4r is a different tranny and that not all tranny people know a lot about it. have talked to several trans builders and found out most of them have little or no experience with the 200-4r . i have learned more about the 200-4r in the past couple of days from this site than i have learned from the common trans builder in the past few months!!

i just read someone's post with a similar problem. no 1-2 shift at wot but as soon as he lifted it shifted , he said a new vb fixed his problem. sounds like my situation

i'm tired of playing around and just want some good parts , thinking of buying a new vb ? anybody have any suggestions on where to buy one ? i want a very quick and firm shift , one that will easily chirp the tires when shifting . been looking around at the recommended 200 guys and saw that lonnie at extreme automatics is close to me and has a decent deal on a modified vb (BRC). anybody have one of these ? if so how is shift quality ? any other suggestions or info let me know , thanks

????

i'm tired of playing around and just want some good parts , thinking of buying a new vb ? anybody have any suggestions on where to buy one ? i want a very quick and firm shift , one that will easily chirp the tires when shifting . been looking around at the recommended 200 guys and saw that lonnie at extreme automatics is close to me and has a decent deal on a modified vb (BRC). anybody have one of these ? if so how is shift quality ? any other suggestions or info let me know , thanks

Are you in New Castle? Did you recently get it repaired?

have not had the time or money to mess with lately , put original tans back in and its still hanging in ! just hope it hangs in till i find the time & money to work on the other one. when i get the chance i plan on trying a different v.b. and no i am not from new castle