Problem With Cassette Player

Larry Gibson

Hi all,

I just registered on this site although I have visited it several times in the past. I am the original owner of an 86 GN that I bought new. It is a 47K mile stock GN that has not been abused in any way but being as it's now 22 years old, a few minor items need attention. The first issue is with the cassette player. A tape is stuck in it and I can't get it out with small screwdrivers, etc. The second item is the headliner is starting to come loose which really irks me as this car has always been garaged and never driven in winter. I know I'll probably have to have the headliner professionally repaired at an upholstery shop. About the radio, how does the face plate come off? :confused: I'm pretty sure the radio comes out from the front of the dash, but not 100% positive.

I am not new to Buicks as I am a member of the GSCA and the BPG. I have a Saturn Yellow 70 GSX and a 70 GS455 convertible, in addition to a 72 Stage 1 that I have owned since 1984.

Thanks for letting me be a part of the TurboBuick website. I'll probably have a lot more questions as time goes by.

Larry Gibson

I think my dad has an original GN radio that he's put back several years ago. I'll ask him if he wants to sell it if your interested.

cassette problem

Larry,

There are others on this board that make a living doing audio work and I am sure they will chime in but my personal experience is that the small rubber band (belt) that drives the cassette mechanism is either broken or so stretched out it no longer works. When this happens the cassette will not be removed without destroying something including a loss of religion during all attempts. BTW, the radio is removed from the front of the dash after carefully prying off the plastic bezel around the radio and HVAC controls. Radio must be out and partially disassembled to R & R the before mentioned belt.

Dean

The face plate snaps on and off. Just becareful when pulling out on it you don't break off the plastic tabs or lose any of the clips to it.

The radio is held in by 4 screws, unsure of the size maybe 8 mm. You'll see them once the face plate is off. Very easy to do.

The radios used in your 86 GN were used in a number of cars in the 80's. In '88 they were the same but they changed the plug in wiring harness on the rear but an adapter that is sold at most car stereo shops allows you to adapt.

Thanks for all the replies regarding removal of the radio face plate. I suspected it was held in by hidden clips or something along that line but didn't want to start prying on it til I knew what to expect. I have a spare radio I picked up years ago from another GM vehicle but I would like to keep the original and reapir the cassette if necessary.

Thanks again for the info. I'll post the outcome.

Larry

Thanks for all the replies regarding removal of the radio face plate. I suspected it was held in by hidden clips or something along that line but didn't want to start prying on it til I knew what to expect. I have a spare radio I picked up years ago from another GM vehicle but I would like to keep the original and reapir the cassette if necessary.

Thanks again for the info. I'll post the outcome.

Larry

NP
Let us know!
:cool:

Well, I fixed it, sort of. After I removed the face plate and the radio per your directions, I removed the cassette player from the radio but was still unable to remove the cassette so, I did the next best thing. I replaced the original cassette player, with the player from the spare radio. Now I have music and can play cassette's again! Thanks for the good directions.

Next question: The fasten seat belt light comes on and goes off intermittenly. Sometimes it will come on or go off if you go over a small bump in the road so it appears that something is loose or not making good contact. I have a sketch of the sensors under the hood but do not see anything for the seat belts. Is there a sensor and where is it located?

Thanks again for the help.

Larry

Might be in the driver side female buckle, a switch that is supposed to close the circuit when the belt is inserted.