problem need help

TurboBusa

huh??
ok here's what happened. i was out crusin last night, car was running great normal day to day thing. i was headed home and the car suddenly started sputtering bad! every time i would give it a little bit of gas it would sputter then back fire. so i legged it to the nearest parking lot to check it out. fuel was good, i started it again it started up. rev it a little and its fine again. so i let it run a little longer and not even a minute the car started again. this time i can't even drive it. it would sputter and die. checked gas and gas was full, checked fuel pressure and it was good, towed it home and checked fuel filter, pump out put inlet and outlet and was good. no codes by the way. i even tried resetting the ecm and nothing, still the same. i'll turn it off for a little bit and start it again and will run good for a minute and it starts again, wide band is showing lean while sputtering, and no codes. can this be a cam sensor problem?
help out please i'm stumped.

I had a similar problem returning from the GS nats out in the middle of no where. To check the cam sensor. WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING, unplug the cam sensor. then go drive it and see if that fixed it.

It didn't help me and I am still trying to figure out the problem afer rebuilding the ignition system in parking lots in Owensboro and Evansville. I will watch this thread to see if it helps.

good luck... word of warning don't take any long trips until you find the culprit. the problem is inconsistent and pops up suddenly.

went outside to get back on it. all i did was unplug the cam sensor and checked around it if it got loose and did nothing else. plugged it back in and cranked it. now the car won't even start or fire.

I think we must have the same gremlin. But mine will start and run for a while.
Took mine out for a drive tonight. 15 miles and called AAA to be towed home. Was running 65 on cruise. Started sputterning and backfiring complete with flames out the pipes, then died. Easy to restart drive 1 mile sputtered and died. d\Did that 3 times to get off highway. Tried disconnecting the MAF. Coded up but no change. Fuel pressure good. Tried the cam sensor disconect, while the motor was running, with no results.
Options? Has new coil pack, ignition module, wires, plugs, fuel filter, and fuel pump with hot wire kit.
Crank sensor? Cam sensor?

sounds like it! we'll tag team this gremlin. i just ordered a new cap for the cam sensor and i'll try this out. i've already checked out the grounds and mine's good to go. have you checked the MAF? how do you check if MAF is good. man i wish i had friends here that have t buicks like back in san diego. i can just swap parts until i find the problem. my MAF is the LS1 with a trans plus. any body here know how to check this thing with a multi meter?

A couple of things guys.

The cam sensor is the reference for the injectors to fire in sequence. In other words the ecm looks for a signal from the cam sensor and that is used to indicate TDC on the #1 cylinder.

The crank sensor is the reference for the ignition. If the car wont start at all it may be the crank sensor. If the sensor is mounted correctly it is working. They usually dont fail they do come loose and the crank balancer will eat it.

Busa you can test the MAF by plugging it in first. Get the car started. Then unplug it.

You are not alone in San Diego. There are a few of us around the area and in my case Temecula. Let me know if you need help.

reggei thanks, unfortunately i'm on the east coast now. i miss the west coast, seems i had more resources there as far as buick owners that lived by me when i still lived there. buick gurus like Neil Steward, Don Wang ETC... Reggie You were the one that had the white T right? thanks again i'll go check out the crank sensor. just when the car finally started running soooo darn good!!

reggei thanks, unfortunately i'm on the east coast now. i miss the west coast, seems i had more resources there as far as buick owners that lived by me when i still lived there. buick gurus like Neil Steward, Don Wang ETC... Reggie You were the one that had the white T right? thanks again i'll go check out the crank sensor. just when the car finally started running soooo darn good!!

Where are you at on the East Coast, there's quit a few cars and gurus around here.

i should be more specific cause, your right the east coast does have alot of gurus! like CAl hartline, ray bunch, FL and georgia boys and some in maryland, don't know much in virginia. i'm in yorktown area.

i think i found it....i inspected the crank sensor...low and behold, its been chewed up pretty good. what is the proper distance this sensor has to be set? do you just have to rotate and eye it? how do you upload a photo?

20 to 30 thousandths with a feeler gauge.
You can get a small tie wrap and use that as the feeler gauge its easier and it bends easily around the crank and the sensor.

well guys i found the real problem. took me long enough!!! with training and getting ready to go back to the sand box it was hard to find time for my baby. i've replaced the ecm, crank sensor, cam sensor cap, bought a new chip, module and coil pack etc. and it was as simple as a blown fuse. LOL the ccci fuse had some buildup of mildew and such and cause the current to be sparatic. it wasn't completely blown but it screwed it up enough to make it act up. virginia is really not forgiving to cars left outside. the weather just destroys the anything metal. well guys thank you for all your help. i'm sure i'll run into a new problem with this car. but its so addicting!!! thanks again and till next time.....
abnir

Your not alone here on the east coast. Plenty of Turbo Buick guys around. And plenty of events within a few hours drive. If you have a problem like this again just contact Jack Cotton. Extremely knowledgable guy and can ship you anything you need within a few days. Helped me out a couple of times myself.

ok guys i knew i spoke too soon. what are the causes of back fire and surge at 10 psi? never had this problem either. i know its not the chip, i have alchol injection, car runs great until given 10 pounds then it just back fires?

fuel pressure looks good. i don't see any drop of fuel pressure under boost. 10psi i am around 50's. i have a double pumper and hot wired.