Problem during 200-4r rebuild

borderline

Hi all! First time poster, long time reader here. I finally deciede to do a tranny rebuild and have come across a problem. For some back ground the tranny is going behind a 400HP chevy 355, I purchased the TCI pro super kit (comes with shift kit) as well as a hardened stator, 0.500" boost valve and the ASTG service book. I followed the instructions as best as possible (I don't have access to all the specialty tools they use in the manual). My father has rebuilt alot of transmissions and has given me a few tips. One of which is the rotate the input shaft by hand as you slowly tighten the pump bolts, if it stops turning you have a problem somewhere. I was at this point yesterday and of course I cannot turn the input shaft by hand once I start to tighten the bolts. Without the pump in the case I can still turn it over by hand, and noticed that it seems like the band is already holding the drum before the servo is even installed. Do I need to do an alignment on it? If I am correct, the band grips the drum, which in turn gives you second gear. Anything else that you could think of to check or try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

do you have output shaft sitting on something?If you do it may not turn.It needs to hang.And yes the band should be loose without the servo in it.

Did you install a new servo? Did you check the pin length? There are a few different pins and the aftermarket are made "grind to fit" to get the correct length.

I've got an old yoke with ears cut off stabilizing the output shaft, and the transmission is sitting on an old 1 ton rear brake drum. There is about 1.25" of clearance from the floor to the end of the old yoke. I also made a bracket out of 1/4" mild steel bolted to where the transmission mount goes and that is bolted to the brake drum to hold it up, so it sould turn freely:).

The servo is a factory one for now, with plans to upgrade later on. With the servo not installed it will still "seize up" once I start to install the pump.

There is approx. 1/4 gap from the tip of the drum tang to its corresponding root. Should it bottom out?

I noticed that the drum that the band goes around is really floppy inside the case. Should it be? It looks like the center support should stabilize it once it is installed...

I also noticed that once the overdrive section is installed it starts to stiffen up, but I am still able to turn it over by hand without excessive force. Still having no luck though:frown:

Thanks for the replys!

I just had a thought while I was out in my shop trying to figure out whats wrong. I am going to take the pump in with me into work tomorrow and chuck up the body in a lathe and dial up the body. I'll then put a dial on the stator support and check it for run out. I had install a new hardened stator support, and I am thinking that maybe the stator is crooked or bent and once the bushing inside the stator reaches the part of the shaft it rides on it binds. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Well, I chucked up the stator between centers and spun the pump in a lathe at dinner... the is alot of walk when I spun it. It looks like either the stator itsaelf is crooked (highly unlikely as it is brand new) or I goofed on the install. Once I get some time I'll pop it back out, check the stator and find out where the problem lies.