Primary & Secondary rear brake shoes

fastjack1

Can I use 2 primary (big) shoes on the rear for building more boost on the line at the drag strip & why is there 2 different size shoes to begin with. The guy at the brake shop didn't know why there is 2 different size shoes.:confused:

What guys here are doing is to buy 2 sets of the cheap (softer linings) brake shoes and use 4 secondary (longer) shoes instead of the short/long, primary/secondary set up, along with larger bore, S-10 manual brakes wheel cylinders.
By the way, the primary shoe is actually the one with the shorter lining, duo servo shoe action. In single servo type, both shoes are the same length lining.

What guys here are doing is to buy 2 sets of the cheap (softer linings) brake shoes and use 4 secondary (longer) shoes instead of the short/long, primary/secondary set up, along with larger bore, S-10 manual brakes wheel cylinders.
By the way, the primary shoe is actually the one with the shorter lining, duo servo shoe action. In single servo type, both shoes are the same length lining.
i'll be installing the s10 wheel cylinders....can i get the year or part # for the brake shoes to buy ...will the softer shoes prevent the lock up issue? car doesn't get driven in the rain but alot on the street.

i'll be installing the s10 wheel cylinders....can i get the year or part # for the brake shoes to buy ...will the softer shoes prevent the lock up issue? car doesn't get driven in the rain but alot on the street.

Any 78-87 G-body rear brake shoes, but buy the cheapest set, two pair, keep 4 long shoes (secondary).
The cheapest set will have the softest lining material, i.e., they won't last as long as the higher priced semi-metallic shoes.
No, they will not prevent rear wheel lock up under panic braking on a wet street. An adjustable proportioning valve might be your only recourse for that condition besides not driving on wet streets.:biggrin:
Don't ask me how I know.