prep ?

CJ's6

What is the best way to prep a TR for painting? this car will need to be taken down to the metal and redone from there. Not looking to put a show quality paint job on the car, but do want a decent job. Is soda blasting the preferred way? or just strip it the old way? which is better in the long run? never have done any stripping or painting myself, so will have to depend on somebody who can do a good job as well. Any thoughts on this from guys who have been their done this?

I'll be getting my car media blasted by the same shop that does some of Rad Rides by Troy's cars (Imperial Blasting in Chicago). One of the reasons for media blasting is that it'll leave a nice surface for the epoxy primer to bite into right after blasting. Other methods like chemical stripping or soda you still need to d.a. the car afterword. The biggest drawback to soda is that if you leave any of it in a seam or some didden nook it will bleed out after you paint the car. That's no good.

Cost wise you're looking at about $1500.00 +/- for media blasting.

Thanks for the reply. The more i hear about the mess with the soda blasting, it makes me want to do it the old fashion way. Alot of time and extra $$$$ though.

I should have mentioned that the bleed through also applies to chemical stripping. Cost wise I settled on the media blasting because it'll give me the best foundation to work from and save me a ton of time that would otherwise be spent on stripping and sanding.

I don't know the condition of the paint on your car but my paint is nasty. An enamel paint over the lacquer turned it into a rock hard, crusty looking mess.

Ellis Media Blasting in Greensboro NC is the best way to go. Cost me around 450 do redo one of mine. Leave the glass in but remove all the moldings, grille, tail lights, bumpers (if they are chrome) They did a fantastic job and turnaround time was 2-3 days.

Ellis Media Blasting in Greensboro NC is the best way to go. Cost me around 450 do redo one of mine. Leave the glass in but remove all the moldings, grille, tail lights, bumpers (if they are chrome) They did a fantastic job and turnaround time was 2-3 days.
did he spray the sealer or primer on for you or did you have to get someone else, and what did you do about rust if yours had any?