Preferred backspacing for GN's?

It all depends what size wheel you have. If you have 15X7 or 15X8's you will want 3.5" backspacing. You can fit 275/50/15's perfectly if you use aluminum drums. Anything larger may require more backspacing. I've got 26X11.50X15 M/T ET Streets that fit fine on a set of 15X10's with 4.5" backspacing.

how about if u wanted to run a 16in rim what backspacing and how big of a drag radial????

All right, I am looking at 29x12.5 MT sportsmans on 15x10 pro stars with a 3.5" backspacing. They are coming off a GN, but my 275x50-15 nittos on 15x8 draglites with 3.5" backspacing were about 1/2 - 3/4 an inch off the frame.

These sportsmans are 13" sidewall width on 10" rims at 10psi (according to the website). Would they rub, or does anyone know how close they would fit? Like I said, I was told theyd fit fine by him, but I want to make absolutely sure that they will.

Can anyone help?

Doesn't sound like they'd hit the frame, but they will definately stick out of the fenderwells for sure. They wouldn't fit on my car. Sounds to me like you would need to cut the fenderwells up for sure.

Personally, I hate my 10" rims and will be putting my tires on 8" when I find a spare set. Do you really need that much tire? What times are you planning on running? Believe it or not, I've heard alot of good about M/T ET Drag 28X9.5X15's. The guy who sold me my ET Streets went to them and never looked back. He gets 1.5 60fts all day long.

No, I dont really need that much tire, but I plan on changing tires more than likely. I like the hoosier quick time pros. One of the guys who has helped me has a 26x10.5" quick time pro on a 10 second nitrous fed firehawk and he was hooking well. I have heard lots of good things about that and MT. Just like the Ford/Chevy battle, its all preference.

i have run 12.5 x 28 x15 et streets on 8.5 rim with 3.5 bs . no clearence problems with duel airbags

A good rule of thumb is

3.5"-3.75" BS with a 7" rim.

3.75"-4.0" BS with an 8" rim.

4.0"-4.25" BS with a 9" rim.

4.25"-4.5" BS with a 10" rim.

This doesn't work for all cars, because body/frame location can vary by 1/2", but it will get you in the ballpark. If you error on the side of MORE back spacing, you can always use a small spacer to keep the tire off the frame.

I personally would NOT use a 10" rim with only 3.5" BS. You'd need to radius the fender dirt track style for that tire to fit.

Just remember when talking et Streets.They are measured at the sidewall not tread width as most tires MH slick 9" is the same as a 11.5 et street and a 10" slick is the same as a 12.5 et street.
I run a 29"x 9" tire on my race car and probably have the same patch surface as a 28x10 or close due to height.Also the 50 series tire IMHO look like crap the 275X50s are less than 26" tall.You would have to go to a 16" wheel or a 3.15 to make it look right to me.
I ran et streets on my gn with 15X8s 3.5 bs 28X12.5X15 .That is a full 10" tire Didnt rub with 12.5 sidewall .That is about as much as you will get into their.I polished the inter fenders so it did rub on corners slightly.

I personally would NOT use a 10" rim with only 3.5" BS. You'd need to radius the fender dirt track style for that tire to fit.
Hey, you could use like a 22" dia tire on a 14X10 wheel. Get a tailpipe about 4" inches in dia, and some vary colored neons underneath. The tires should stick out from under the fenders by at LEAST three inches. Get lots of decals, too! Oh, sorry, that only works on hondas and toyota pickups...