pre-1987 power seat switch fix DIY

chris c

if you own an 87' and your power seat switch is broken you can just call gbodyparts and buy a new one. if you are pre-1987 like me you can buy several used switches and find that none of them work. :mad:

eventually i got disgusted and took one of the switches apart. the switch itself will pop out of the casing quite easily with some small flat screwdrivers. this will expose the inner contacts. looking at the 4 non functional switches i have, it revealed that the spring contacts [maybe due to corrosion] or other reasons must arc and burn away slightly. once that occurs the switch cannot push the spring far enough down to bridge the contact. it leaves you with either a motor the free wheels or a soleniod the activates but no power to the motor.

in this picture i have circled the contact that was damaged in my switch.

i=wMTI4NzE0ODZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx

actually, the arrow points to the contact that was actually damaged but my camera sucks at close up shots. using a bit slightly larger than the mushroom'd style rivits that hold the spring contact on, the spring contact can be removed without damaging the switch itself.

chances are, if you have another non-working switch on hand one of the contacts in it will be ok and can be used to replace the damaged on in the other switch.

so i removed a good contact from another switch and soldered it on.

don't laugh at my skills, i never solder electrical.

i=wMTI4NzE0NzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx

anyway, now i have a fully functional switch. :cool:

hopefully someone else can benefit from my write up. i actually just put the switch back together minutes before posting this. if it is of any real use i can type a more comprehensive write up with better pictures when i am less tired. i have a couple more bad switches which i plan on making one good switch from.

I've recently replaced the switch on my 84 gn because I had accidently broke off the center knob with my foot, seat has worked fine since,... till yesterday. I can hear the motor making a clicking noise, but the seat isn't moving at all. It will make the clicking noise when any of the 3 switches are pushed to any of their contact positions, like their supposed to, but no movement, just a clicking sound. I guess my motors starting to go out? I was going to pull the seat sometime this week and take a closer look. Has anybody else had the same problem?

Turbobuick2 said:
I've recently replaced the switch on my 84 gn because I had accidently broke off the center knob with my foot, seat has worked fine since,... till yesterday. I can hear the motor making a clicking noise, but the seat isn't moving at all. It will make the clicking noise when any of the 3 switches are pushed to any of their contact positions, like their supposed to, but no movement, just a clicking sound. I guess my motors starting to go out? I was going to pull the seat sometime this week and take a closer look. Has anybody else had the same problem?

the clicking is not the motor, it is the solenoids in the gearbox. there is a gearbox that the motor drives, which drives three output gears. the three output gears are for front tilt, rear tilt and foward/backwards. any button on the switch will power the motor [foward or reverse] and engage the proper solenoid for transfer of power out of the gearbox.

i'd swap the other switch back in first to see if it behaves any different first.

report back the results and i am sure someone can help..

if you pull the seat off the track [not the track from the car] you can operate the seat with the wires from the motor disconnected and a test light between the leads. it will tell you if you are getting power. i have three power seat setup's if you need and parts.

Nice of you to take the time to share your repair. Thanks.

And you soldering is better than mine :)

Bob

chris c said:
i'd swap the other switch back in first to see if it behaves any different first.

report back the results and i am sure someone can help..

I've already pitched the old switch, Or at least I think I did, I'll have to check. It did work fine for almost 3 weeks though. The switch was used, but was a perfect fit. Could it have messed up my solenoids somehow? I'm sure the solenoids are the originals also.

Turbobuick2 said:
I've already pitched the old switch, Or at least I think I did, I'll have to check. It did work fine for almost 3 weeks though. The switch was used, but was a perfect fit. Could it have messed up my solenoids somehow? I'm sure the solenoids are the originals also.

doubtful. if you are hearing a "clicking" the solenoids are probably fine.

you can get to the wires that go to the motor easily. the motor is at the front of the seat track the the wires plug in from the front. unplug the clip to the motor and use a test light to bridge the feed for the motor. seeing if you are getting power to the motor is the first step imo.

I am going to remove the seat tommorow or wed. and get it up on the work bench and see what I find. I'll report back

Turbobuick2 said:
I am going to remove the seat tommorow or wed. and get it up on the work bench and see what I find. I'll report back

depending upon the position the seat is stuck in removing it [and the entire track/motor/etc] will be difficult to impossible. by removing the plastic trim around the seat tracks [you won't be able to get to the screws on the passenger transmisson tunnel side] you can get to the four bolts that hold the seat to the track. once you pull the seat out you will have perfect access to the motor, gearbox and wiring.

imo, it will be much easier to troubleshoot with the track and motor in the car.

makes sense. I remember tightening those bolts when I bought the car cause the seat was loose.