PPM's All New EXTREME DUTY Chassis parts

PowrPerformance

I am VERY, VERY excited to finally announce a project that has been a long time in the making.

Power Performance Motorsports will be debuting our all-new front end line. Designed for unsurpassed quality and ease of installation, these new front end components - including idler arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, and center links - are by far superior to any front end product on the market.

We recently introduced the Extreme Duty line to the Impala SS market and it has been a huge hit.

Ball joints

The parts are made with highly polished stud and bearing surfaces with close tolerance clearances between the surfaces to reduce friction. The parts come factory packed with the highest quality molybdenum disulfide grease for performance regardless of temperature, pressure, or cycle frequency.

Mid-carbon steel (.43% carbon) is used whereas competitors use mild steel (.17%). The reason competitors use low carbon steel is because it's cheaper to buy and easier to work with. Low carbon steel allows them to produce shells and studs using cold forging rather than stronger, more expensive hot forging needed with mid-carbon steel. SAE1045 mid-carbon micro alloy steel is the particular steel used. Competition uses SAE4118 low carbon steel.

We used the higher carbon steel and hot forging method because we get a stronger, more durable part with less distortion from the severe heat-treating required to get the same hardness from low carbon steel.

The result of the cold forging is that size variations may be over +/- .010". Our part is CNC milled on all surfaces to produce virtually zero tolerance fit.

The Extreme Duty Turbo Buick upper ball joints are made from hot forging rather than the metal stampings used by competition. This gave us a much stronger, more durable part with a much larger, stronger bearing surface and a pull-out rating almost double that of Moog.

Threads on studs and nuts are machine cut and matched to ensure greatest thread contact and smoothness of torques. Wait until you feel how perfectly and easily the nut goes on the stud for ease of installation.

CR rubber compound is used for the dust boots. It remains strong and flexible at the high and low temperatures encountered by North American vehicles. CR compound is also impermeable to brake fluid and road level ozone. The boots have a double lip seal to keep grease in and dirt out. The boots are anchored to the part to ensure boot retention. An accordion-type boot is used on the upper ball joints. This prevents the bottom of the boot from being pulled from its anchored base and prevents the stud sealing hole from becoming elliptical (egg shaped).

The ball joints come fully assembled and can be installed with the boot already installed on the ball joint.

They also feature forged ball studs (SAE4140 steel) and a knurled, press-fit diameter to accommodate both fresh and worn lower control arms. All mounting hardware is SAE grade-8.

When tested, the Moog K5208 ball joint (the upper ball joint) stud pulled out at 10,846 lbs. Our Extreme Duty stud pulled out at 16,545 lbs.

Here are additional test results between the Moog K5208 (upper ball joint for the Turbo Buick) vs. our new, enhanced design Extreme Duty upper ball joint for the Turbo Buick:
Moog K5208 Test
Power Performance Motorsports' new, enhanced design series ball joint

Tie rod ends and idler arms

have similar or superior features to Moog "T" series. Moog, on their non-"T" series, uses a double conical bearing - the shape of an egg, and it starts to wear on the top and bottom and begins to rock.

Our bearings are like a top hat - straight down and flat across the bottom and rides on a thrust washer. It allows vertical movement when necessary but no lateral movement that would change toe and cause wear.

All parts feature a MILLION MILE warranty.

Tie rod ends, idler arms, and center links

Moog uses a double conical bearing - the shape of an egg, and it starts to wear on the top and bottom and begins to rock.

Our bearings are like a top hat - straight down and flat across the bottom and rides on a thrust washer. It allows vertical movement when necessary but no lateral movement that would change toe and cause wear.

All parts feature a MILLION MILE warranty.

What this means for you:

A superior part will be put on your car that you will never have to worry about. Steering and handling will be tightened to better-than-factory levels.

We are awaiting our first shipment which should be here in 1-2 weeks. We will continue to sell PST products as well, but this kit will be sold separately as an upgraded alternative.

Kit includes:

Enhanced design Idler arm
Enhanced design Center Link
Enhanced design Inner Tie Rod Ends
Enhanced design Outer Tie Rod Ends
Enhanced design Upper Ball Joints
Enhanced design Lower Ball Joints

Price is $270.00.

A comprehensive front end rebuild kit is also available for $399.00:

Polygraphite Control Arm Bushings
Polygraphite End Link kit
Polygraphite Sway Bar Bushings
Control Arm bumpers
Enhanced design Idler arm
Enhanced design Center Link
Enhanced design Inner Tie Rod Ends
Enhanced design Outer Tie Rod Ends
Enhanced design Upper Ball Joints
Enhanced design Lower Ball Joints

Stuck by WE4 on July 27th.

I like em!

Put me in coach! I'll take the whole package. Do we have to preprder at this point or should we do the transaction from your website? Nice products!

I would feel more positive about this post, if it were not for the discussion of the steel alloys. The 1045 used by PPerformance is, indeed, a medium carbon steel. But 4118, as used by "the competition" is a low alloy steel, not a low carbon steel. It uses chrome, moly, and mangenese to enhance the heat treated properties, and is not really directly comparable just on the basis of the carbon content. The alloying elements also allow hardening and/or tempering the material with moderate heat treat, not likely to cause the gross distortion indicated by the original post. I haven't bought either recently, but years ago, the 1045 was cheaper.

I've been told my the engineers that I've spoken to that this steel is superior for this application. Regardless, the test results posted speak for themselves, and the product proves that it is superior.

Shipment is finally coming in next week, so we'll be shipping mid-next week.