powerstroke users

Jes

i did a search, kinda dead on this issue.

how are you guys doing with this cooler ?
do you feel it lived up to what you expected ?
what are your track #'s ?
any other comments ?

i have seen some bashing of this cooler lately, possibly by the misinformed ?

I would reply but my car is still under contruction.

J Banning or Reds Hot Air should be-able to help u out on this.:)

They have installed them on there cars and I know Reds car has gone 10s and 133mph with a Powerstroke intercooler and T70 turbo.:eek:

I'm one of those misinformed ones ;). If you want a no mods install, buy something else. If you don't mind modifying your header panel (notching fiberglass headlight buckets), cutting holes in your core support etc., then go for it. Sounds like it works great once installed though. If someone is interested, I've got a NEW powerstroke intercooler, complete w/sandblasted-painted-holes cut core support, chopped header panel and a couple of "prototype" pipes...$300. I just couldn't do it to mine. HTH

No, but it is out of the box new, just a little dusty. The top brackets have been neatly trimmed off, but other than that, it's new.

well, i not concerned with the install issues. from what i read a while back, this was a minor problem for potencial gains.

what i'm wondering is, in addition to the above. is if there was anything negative/positive that was newly discovered.

Well I use to have a precision that worked well, I switch to a powerstroke for a couple of reasons. I thought that it would run cooler with this cooler, I didn't think that I would lose any performance, Look cool, thought it would be cheaper so I could do other mods. Well I was no overly impressed with the running cooler, but once I put the dual fan kit on I can barely keep it above 162. I don't think that it is any less efficient than the precision was. I ran about the same mph before and after. And have run as fast as 117 on pump gas(will hopefully up that number tomorrow night). It was definately cheaper. I sold my precision and bought a intercooler, pipes and a car. whole different story, but it is probably the best bang for the buck intercooler if you don't mind cutting and pasting. Hope that this helps. Oh and if you can't tell I would do it again.

Zak

...how are you guys doing with this cooler? Do you feel it lived up to what you expected ?
Great! It couldn't have turned out better. I've had it on the car for about a year and a half and maybe 5k miles with NO problems.

...what are your track #'s ?
11.34 @ 119.75mph. Ask me again after next weekend though... :) (new mods coming)

...any other comments ?
As I've always said...
- If you have a clean car, consider a frontmount that doesn't require the mods to the radiator support and header pannel.
- At $300-325 it's a super cheap alternative to new... but if you have the money to buy new (or even a used one) get a used PTE, CAS, or Cottons. They bolt right in with NO mods.

That's it. Hope that helps.

P.S. Part of my site has been down for a while. I'm working to get it back up and running. Sorry. You should still be able to get some of the info and pics here: http://www.geocities.com/jamesbanning

-Banning.

thank you gentlemen. thats exactly the replies i was figuring i would get. i guess there are many misinformed out there, haha, screw em ;)

1 being a stock cooler and 10 being the best cooler(bar none). where would a p/s fit in ? and just how good is a STOCK cooler, and does a neck mod really help, how much ? and what is the best cooler ? = without totaly hacking the car. i think a p/s doesn't hack the car = if done well.

also. why are you guys useing sawzalls to cut the holes ? i think a hole saw would give much better results. yes, i know about the uneven area to be cut, but there are ways to work with that.

has anyone put one INSIDE the core support ?

thanx for the replies :) :cool:

My intercooler stays nice and chilly, and flows pretty good.......need to port my heads now!

Originally posted by Jes

has anyone put one INSIDE the core support ?

thanx for the replies :) :cool:

I was wondering the same thing. If you remove the stock IC then you could move the radiator back and put the PSIc in the radiators original place and still have enough room. I understand it requires some custom work, but it could be done without "hacking up the car".

Anybody looked into this?

Originally posted by J Banning
...what are your track #'s ?
11.34 @ 119.75mph. Ask me again after next weekend though... :) (new mods coming)

UPDATE: 10.97@120mph on 10/11/03 at Cecil County Dragway with new PT67 turbo and Powerstroke IC with 2.5" pipes and 100% stock throttlebody.

I also went several 11.0's at 20psi boost.

-Banning.

I love mine and although I don't have any actual times or HP/TQ #s to give for before and after I don't seem to get as much KR as I used to. Besides I love the way it looks(check out my pics in the sig below). I would recomend getting the aluminum end-tanked one if possible. I welded tabs to mine on the end tanks to bolt it in place. My car does seem to respond to the temp of the IC(transfer to the radiator) on extended full throttle blasts. Around town driving good cool temps, but on long blasts the temp can go up as much as 20 deg. Just run a 160 therm. I don't know if it would fit between the frame rails, behind the core support.

ADAM

I originally followed a similar thread about a year ago, where Banning and a few others were trying these out, and showing the install. It looked like a freakin' nightmare to me, and I personally would have no desire to go through that much headache to save a couple hundred $. My CAS V2 took 45 minutes to install, and is as clean, neat, and big as anyone would ever need on a low 10 second car or higher. (also found it used for $700, with nothing else to buy).
However, I respect the work these guys have done, and the results thereof. Pioneering new ideas is what has brought these cars to the levels they're at, and it's a good thing! It just wouldn't be my choice.

Anyway, what I would like to see, is some published numbers from all of you who are using the PSIC, for inlet temps. What is the air charge temp? Direct Scan gives that to you, and it would be a helpful measure to judge if it is truly worth the efforts.

If any of you can post some actual data, I would appreciate it, and we may all learn from it too.
Thanks in advance.

I have access to the following intercoolers and might be able to do some testing this fall/winter...

- Ford Powerstroke (on my car now)
- Stock Buick intercooler
- CAS V4 stock location
- ATR frontmount
- Precision frontmount

What would you guys like to see? I could test boost, inlet & outlet temperature (at 50-70mph cruise, WOT, and after 1/4 mile pass).

-Banning.

I would like to see some data on it, I think it might hush some of the nay sayers on this board about this intercooler.

I personally think it is a great low buget form of hp,I have one for my car but I am going to run the pipes under the car

Originally posted by J Banning
I have access to the following intercoolers and might be able to do some testing this fall/winter...

- Ford Powerstroke (on my car now)
- Stock Buick intercooler
- CAS V4 stock location
- ATR frontmount
- Precision frontmount

What would you guys like to see? I could test boost, inlet & outlet temperature (at 50-70mph cruise, WOT, and after 1/4 mile pass).

-Banning.

I'd just like to see the numbers on your current setup, the PSIC. It's the one that is least known about, as far as published stats.
However, if you're feeling adventurous, you could certainly do a comparison between them all.
Actually, now that I think about it, I'd like to see the temps on the PTE Front Mount too, since it's the closest thing to my CAS V2.
Anyway, thanks for offering!