Powermaster to Hydroboost conversion

Well it's time for the HB conversion on the 87...doing it Sunday. Got the MC from Autozone...$12.99 for the MC with a $18.00 core charge!! Seems crazy for the crappy old MC to be worth more to them than the reman one. :eek: Oh well.

After looking at the used 85 GM booster I have, the piston side that attaches to the MC is EXACTLY the same as the one in question in the post above. I can say with alot of certainty that the reman ones already have the correct parts that are needed. I hope this clears up the confusion, and helps to move all your conversions forward. ---Keith

Ordered.

Now I just have to see if Keith will drive a few hours north and put it in for me. haha

Bring it down to DSM and I'll give you a hand. We can do it in a few hours...you could bring my trophy with you!! LOL! ;) ---Keith

Pedal Feel

With the hydro boost install what will the pedal feel like if you don't bench bleed the master properly or according to the instructions?

I have a definite improved difference in braking over my vacum set up. But I am wondering if it should be better. For example should I be able to lock the wheels up? Not that I want to, I am just asking.

I ask because I was doing some spirited drving on a closed circuit and i gave the brakes all they had and they kind of gave in is the only way I can describe them. The car stopped but the pedal headed toward the floor board and didn't get all the way there but it felt strange and the wheels didn't lock up.

You may have boiled the brake fluid. I've done that before myself and it scared the crap out of me. I was doing over 100 and tried to slow down.

Just took a test drive and it was worth it. I did the steering shaft at the same time and both are great mods. Thantks to the author of this, greatest post ever.

3y686.jpg

With the hydro boost install what will the pedal feel like if you don't bench bleed the master properly or according to the instructions?

I have a definite improved difference in braking over my vacum set up. But I am wondering if it should be better. For example should I be able to lock the wheels up? Not that I want to, I am just asking.

I ask because I was doing some spirited drving on a closed circuit and i gave the brakes all they had and they kind of gave in is the only way I can describe them. The car stopped but the pedal headed toward the floor board and didn't get all the way there but it felt strange and the wheels didn't lock up.

You should DEFINATELY be able to lock all 4 wheels with the HB. The pedal feel should be high and semi-firm. With both mu TR's, it takes only about 1-2 inches of pedal travel for the wheels to lock...and very little effort. I would definately bench bleed the MC. It is IMPERATIVE that ALL the air is removed from the system.

That would be cool. Do they have your trophy somewhere up here?

Yeah, the Black Hawk Co. Street Machines have it. I talked to the guy later that week. They were reluctant to ship it to me...which I understand. I just have to call them...

Well, I did the conversion on my 87 this past sunday. I have to admit...doing it on an I/C car is a little more labor intensive than on a Hot Air car. Mainly because of the location and acess to the P/S pump.

First I removed the alternator completely, then the tensioner as well. To make it that much easier, I took the A/C compressor loose, (leaving the lines attached, of course) and swung it off to the side. Then I drained the P/S reservior, (I have a vacuum pump that I use...) then I removed the pressure line from the pump to the steering gear. As for the new line that goes from the pump to the HB...I did have to tweak it a little down by the pump so it would line up a little better. Then I put the "T" in the return line from the steering gear to the reservior. Other than that, It is the same install as I originally posted.

Upon start-up I had some mild pump whine, but the more I drive it the quieter it gets. Just remember to check the P/S level a few times after you get it going...the more air that bleeds out of the system...the lower your fluid level will be. ---Keith

Just an FYI, Advance Auto finally has the booster in stock. It still doesn't show as available on the website and the store will tell you they don't have them, but if you call the number on the website they will add it to your order with no problem. The lady couldn't tell me why it showed as in stock at their distribution center but not available in stores or the site. Weird.

Advance Auto has an unpublished shopping cart code of P20 that will get you 20% off and free shipping. That puts the needed parts at $252 since you eat the core charge on the booster.

I have the vac. brake setup already, do I need to chance my brake paddle again or is it ok to use the one I have? I also have a problem pushing thru the lights, how much boost will I be able to build?

I have the vac. brake setup already, do I need to chance my brake paddle again or is it ok to use the one I have? I also have a problem pushing thru the lights, how much boost will I be able to build?

You will need either a hydroboost pedal or a powermaster pedal. The vac pedal won't work with a hydroboost setup. Hopefully you still have a PM pedal from your vac conversion. :)

That's one pet peeve of mine when buying a modified car. I always make it a point to box up any replaced parts in case I or the next owner wants to return it to stock....

more h b brake qestions

THat was a lot of reading.So can i use my exis pm brake pedal on my hb sytem? also The gear box has 2ines,which hole do use for the pass side press line on the hb?The brake pedal has 2 switches on it,do i hook up both of them?What about the elect plugs that were on the pm? my steering pump and my fluid tank are separate ,is this where the return line from the hb can hook up?
Can,wll you help me??
jerry

THat was a lot of reading.So can i use my exis pm brake pedal on my hb sytem? also The gear box has 2ines,which hole do use for the pass side press line on the hb?The brake pedal has 2 switches on it,do i hook up both of them?What about the elect plugs that were on the pm? my steering pump and my fluid tank are separate ,is this where the return line from the hb can hook up?
Can,wll you help me??
jerry

Existing PM pedal will work. The two switches on the brake pedal are (1) for the brake lights, and (2) for the cruise control, so yes you need BOTH of them. The steering gear has two lines, that is correct. One line goes to the power steering pump...this line is removed and replaced by the pressure line that goes to the pass side of the HB unit. The other line that goes from the steering gear to the fluid reservior is the return line...this is where you need to "T" the return line from the HB unit. As for the two plugs for the PM...just tape them off with some good vinyl electrical tape and stuff them under the wiper motor...they are no longer needed. HTH ---Keith

Guys---I'm gearing up to do the conversion on an 87 GN soon. I will document the procedure for the IC cars and post some additional pics soon. Hopefully it will clear up alot of confusion and help out some more people. ---Keith