Powermaster to Hydroboost conversion

I fixed it. The pump doesn't whine now. It was the hydroboost. Rockauto is return and rebuild only now, autozone out of stock at distribution, advance same, oriely's 7-10 days, nappa do damn expensive. I have hoses and a master cylinder for sale now if anyone is interested. The hydroboost is going back to autozone today. I was not going to have the car down another week.

Oh, the trick for the brake pedal is to take the nut off of the bolt that holds the pedal, push the bolt out, but not all the way. Then you can swing the pedal down far enough to attach the hydroboost end. I dropped the steering column down also so I could push the bolt back through. That way you don't have to take the seat out or even lay on your back under the dash. I did everything kneeling outside of the car.:biggrin:

Attachments

• vacuum brakes.jpg
    vacuum brakes.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,125
Fittings to -6

Sorry Mad_Trbo, I don't have the answer to this...wish I did. ---Keith

Turns out you will need both the 18mm for the feed and the 16 mm for the pass through. That is if you are running braided stainless which might look like this.

Attachments

• BUICK HYDROBOOST INSTALL 003_web.jpg
    BUICK HYDROBOOST INSTALL 003_web.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,015
Is there anything wrong with mounting it the other side up? I know all the aftermarket ones have the lines on the bottom instead of the top.

Is there anything wrong with mounting it the other side up? I know all the aftermarket ones have the lines on the bottom instead of the top.

The mounting bracket is angled to match the firewall angle. Inverting it will angle the mastercylinder up and it won't hold the fluid level...it would also hit the hood. ...so, NO, it won't work. ---Keith

After reading through this thread, I think this will be my next project. Thanks for the writeup. I didn't notice if Doug had done this yet. I guess I was distracted by his TA-49 turbo in the "Factory Stock Other" class at the car show. haha

Cheap HydroBoost Components

Just thought I'd pass this along to anybody thinking about buying the parts for the conversion.

Advanced Auto Parts has a 15% off promo today only (promo code H315), and free shipping.

For the following parts my total was 227.09 + 20 core feel for the hydroboost.

Cardone 52-7211
Cardone 10-1984
Powercraft 91660
Powercraft 71187

This was about $50 cheaper than anyplace else, and I called all over locally and could not find the parts in stock. The only things left are low pressure return hose and a tee.

I will report back on shipping time and/or any issues.

Just thought I'd pass this along to anybody thinking about buying the parts for the conversion.

Advanced Auto Parts has a 15% off promo today only (promo code H315), and free shipping.

For the following parts my total was 227.09 + 20 core feel for the hydroboost.

Cardone 52-7211
Cardone 10-1984
Powercraft 91660
Powercraft 71187

This was about $50 cheaper than anyplace else, and I called all over locally and could not find the parts in stock. The only things left are low pressure return hose and a tee.

I will report back on shipping time and/or any issues.

Tried to order and even though the item page shows the hydroboost in stock, when you add it to the cart it shows out of stock and will not accept the order :mad: On phone now trying to get AA to honor 15% off when they do come back in stock. Seems silly you can't order it and have their system put it in backorder.

Running into the same thing. Let us know how you come out with the phone conversation.

FYI....

If you are going to order all these, don't use H315 promo code....Instead use PS20 which gives you 20% off instead of 15% (on orders over $100)!!

As for the backorder, you'll have to fill out your cart w/ an e-mail address, then call to reference that order.....They'll make a note in your account to honor the percent off.

Ordered.

Now I just have to see if Keith will drive a few hours north and put it in for me. haha

Well, I didn't want to wait the 2 weeks to a month for them to get back in stock, so I printed out my AA Cart with 20% discount and took it to AutoZone and they matched everything but the Master Cylinder. They have a core charge on the MC that AA doesn't, so I could have ended up making money ($18 core refund, $12 price). So, I'll just pick up the MC from AA and everything else will be here Friday.

I had to call to get my order entered (something about my zip code), but I've already got a confirmation number that everything's shipped UPS. I tried Autozone, Carquest, and CSK but all of them they said they'd have to order everything from a non-local warehouse, so I figured I have it shipped direct to me since it was free from Advanced.

I had to call to get my order entered (something about my zip code), but I've already got a confirmation number that everything's shipped UPS. I tried Autozone, Carquest, and CSK but all of them they said they'd have to order everything from a non-local warehouse, so I figured I have it shipped direct to me since it was free from Advanced.

You must of got the last Hydroboost, cause shortly after you posted, I called the 1-800 # and they were all out and had no idea when they'd have them again.