Powermaster rebuild in progress... questions..

1NASTY6

"Staged for Life"
I'm in process of rebuilding my Powermaster unit.

I have a couple of questions.....

If looking at the Power Piston Assembly, there is a thing that looks like the needle that is used to pump up a basketball or football.
It is called the "REACTION PISTON" and is located at one end of the power piston assembly.....
There is a groove on the main body of this small piston.......

QUESTION #1 - Is there supposed to be a small O-ring in that
groove?? (or is what looked to be an old O-ring
in there, when I removed it, just some mush from
the old reaction disc from the other end of the
assembly???)

QUESTION #2 - Is the secondary piston already part of the
primary piston assembly in the rebuild kit??
I can't take any of the primary piston assembly
apart, but according to the Instructions and
diagrams I'm using, there appears to be
something called the secondary piston assembly,
but I sure as hell can't find it!
My primary piston that I took out is stamped E14 so I'll be using that one from the rebuild kit that I purchased down in Bowling Green. That means that the other piston assembly that came with the kit (stamped E11) will NOT be used. That, I understand perfectly, but what other parts will not be used from the rebuild kit? Anyone know?
I will be using 3 large O-rings, one small O-ring, the check valve seat assembly, and the poppet and spring assembly, but what about the two other wider rubber o-rings, or seals, that come with the kit? I can't see where those would be used, if I follow the directions that came with the kit.

As most people have said, this is not really that hard of a process, but the directions are a bit fuzzy.... they tell you to remove secondary seal, primary seal, and spring retainer from secondary piston, but where the hell is the secondary piston??
Is it part of the primary piston, but not removable from it??

Isn't all of that already part of the new primary piston assembly that comes in the rebuild kit?? So what is it telling me to remove any of the old seals etc.... if i'm not going to be using the old piston anyway?

If you've rebuilt one of these, and you can help straighten me out on these few questions, THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!! :)

Thanks to everyone on this board that gives of there time and knowledge!

Tim

Never seen a rebuild kit but it looks like the secondary piston and assembly stuff is built up inside the primary one.

Should be a retainer on the primary piston when if removed all the guts would come out which is the secondary piston parts as you described.

If the retainer is on the primary assembly I would assume it is pre-built and ready to go from the kit.

That would make it much easier for sure. :)

reaction piston....

I do believe that the secondary piston is already part of the primary piston assembly in the rebuild kit. So we're o.k. with that question for now....

However, I still am wondering if the groove in the reaction piston
(the basketball inflator needle looking thing) is just a "dirt catcher" type of groove, or if there was actually an o-ring it there?

As I stated earlier, when I removed it, it was full of black "substance". It's possible that it was residue caught in the groove from the failing and mushy reaction disc on the other side of the reaction piston assembly unit. ANYONE KNOW FOR CERTAIN IF THE REACTION PISTON INDEED CAME WITH AN 0-RING OR NOT??

Thanks everyone!

Tim

UPDATE!!! NO IMPROVEMENT.....

Hey guys,

Just an update since my powermaster rebuild.....

First time out at the track with it after rebuild, and the brakes are not any better than they were before rebuild.

Pedal is initially a bit squishy, but then QUICKLY will go all the way
down to the "hard pedal feel". Car will stop, but just doesn't feel right.
Also, very difficult to hold beyond 2800 RPM at line. Starts to push thru..... ( I run a 32-3400 stall Art Carr 9.5 single disk )
This has really altered my driving and 60ft. times.

I also still get the brake light on during and immediately after burnout. Just tap brake pedal and light will go out. Not so worried about that issue.

I've experienced great brakes with the powermaster system before, and I have a lot of faith in the system when it's working properly, but after rebuilding the system, why still this "hard pedal feel"?:

ANY CONSTRUCTIVE OR HELPFUL FEEDBACK from someone who has experience with rebuilding these???

Thanks!!

Tim

Hey Gene!

How the heck are you?

I still have that motor I bought from you. It's still 100% stock and in my car now. It's been great.
I haven't gotten around to doing a rebuild with the balanced rotating assembly that I also bought from you, but I know it's around here somewhere!

Thanks for the reply on the PM. I think I'm closing in on the solution with help from great members like yourself. I'll keep you posted.

Tim