Power window motors BAD??

SmokinJoes85GN

So Ive checked the fuse, its good. Just put in new swicthes, still not working. Ordered a motor off ebay, and the directions are not really helping. Anyone have any tips or links on taking old one off and installing new motor? Im getting pretty frustrated with this!

Did both go bad at the same time? I thought mine was bad once but it was just the switch. Did you buy new switches or old?

Anyone have specifics on changing a motor out?? The directions scare me. They say that you have to put a bolt in this special place to the spring dosent unravel and hurt you or break your car! I cant figure out where, and im not sure what will happen if i start drilling out rivits, not knowing what im doing..

Dont just take it apart,I have never done a g-body but have done other car with the tension springs in there they can do some damage or injury if you dont do it right!!!!!!!

Not to scare ya,It can be done with no problems just do it right.

If both motors stopped working at the same time, I would take a look at the ground. The ground is located in the driver's side door. You should see it bolted to the inner skin of the door, one black wire. This is the ground for the entire PW system.

Make sure that it's connected properly and is actually getting ground back to the car's body/battery.

GN85 is right. If both motors quit at the same time I would guess there is no power getting to them. Use a multi meter to check if there is 12 volts at the motors. I just replaced a bad motor in mine. Got a new motor from Kirbins. You don't take the motor apart, you just replace it.

HTH

Have 2 spare sets. But really sounds like a grounding or power problem.

Best advice I could give anyone.
Is to start with the easy stuff first.
You can always do it the hard way.

Check everything first. Just so you know. HTH'ed.........Rob

Im going outside right now to check the ground, and Ill check to see if there is power where the connector goes into the motor.
Thanx a lot!! Ill let you know what happens.....

Ohhh, another thing, When I leave the battery connected, somthing is draning the battery...i guess its done it ever since i bought the car last November..and both window motors were not working when i bought the car.

Ok, makin a little progress..checked the ground located on the door panel, and its not good! So i took off sanded the contact areas, and still not grounding....

Now i see lights dim when i hit the window switch, but nothing happens..Ive drilled 2 rivits out, motor still wont come out. It feels like its hung up where the gear is on the motor..This is a pain in my @$$!!!! Damn car.. also just burned my finger on the new ground i made :mad:

Originally posted by SmokinJoes85GN
Ok, makin a little progress..checked the ground located on the door panel, and its not good! So i took off sanded the contact areas, and still not grounding....

OK, I'm a little confused. You checked if it was making contact with the ground on the body and got nothing? May I ask how exactly you tested it??

Is the sheet metal of the door itself making a ground? Does it have continuity with the rest of the sheetmetal on the car or negative battery post?

Damn car.. also just burned my finger on the new ground i made

I guess that's why your nick is "SmokinJoe". :D

Sorry, I know how frustrating these cars can be sometimes and I've been there and done that on numerous occasions. Just had to give you something to laugh at. :)