Power steering pump BS

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
PS pump was making noises back in the fall and took out the pump and replaced with a GM rebuilt one. Last time I drove the car was a week ago and out in the garage and see a puddle of fluid under the car.:mad:

Recently replaced the turbo and thought it might be related to that but it was too far over on the floor under the car. Since my car is real low put it up on the ramps and see the area around the ps pump is wet. Wiped the body of the pump off and determined nothing was leaking from the top and just laid under the car and watched. Sure enough here comes seepage of fluid coming from the front of the pump where the pulley goes on. Guess the seal in there has let go after about 500 miles.

Anyone ever rebuild one of these pumps themselves?? Any tips? Probably going to just get another one from local parts store but would like to rebuild the two low and lower mileage ones I have on the bench.

Guess I am thankful that it didn't have anything to do with the turbo install.:)

I just rebuilt mine. The kit has all the "O" rings you need. My pump works like new and no leaks! I hit it with a can of semi-gloss engine paint, and it looks like new.

How about some tips?? How to disassemble, what to look for when taking apart, where did you get the parts, etc??

the parts are available at whatever local parts store has a counter man that is willing to open up and comprehend the contents opf one of those things called "a book" that take ups all that space on the shelf...
as for taking them apart- they aren't that hard.. but i've never atually put one back together, so i can't help with that. i 've gotten a few of the kits over the years just to get the big o ring that seals the reservoir and pressure fitting to the older style saginaw pumps, but have never tried going into the guts of one that i had any intention of putting back together,