Power Steering and A/C delete question

bryanheffernan

Hey guys I have an 81 malibu with an lc2 and decided to dump the ac and ps. Ive been searching but cant find a great way of doing this without spending 200 bucks on an absurd bracket. anyone have some advice?

its only absurd until you try to make one yourself
if it were possible to build and market one cheaper and still cover the costs someone would have done it
run without an alternator or build your own bracket , there isnt another alternative bracket as the champion bracket served those that needed one

Has anyone ran with just a ac delete pulley and no ps? Looks like it might just work. If not I'll fab up my own bracket.

Save yourself some time and just buy the Champion bracket. I messed with a design for a LONG time and without a mill or other precision machinery it just didn't work. I could never make it rigid enough to keep the alternator happy. Look for a used one if 200 bucks is out of your budget. I got one for about half new and wish I hadn't wasted my time "building" my own. Worth every penny in the long run.

We have just installed our first CNC P/S delete pulley/assembly! :)

It is a direct bolt-on to the stock accessory plate, and uses a stock size belt, you also retain all your other stock pieces.

They come black anodized or clear.

image-1.jpeg
image.jpeg

if you keep the stock accessory bracket , and the tensioner with alternator and arent trying to drive an A/C compressor (have a delete pulley) ,
then you should be fine removing the PS pump and running a shorter belt that routes directly from the A/C delete pulley to the bottom of crank pulley

if you were trying to run the stock setup and A/C without the PS pump in place the belt contact on the A/C clutch pulley probably wouldn't be sufficient to drive the compressor without slipping

You can use one of the generic AC delete's on these cars, they work fine.

The champion bracket is a good product FWIW. It's nicely made.