Power Seat Track & Switch

Mark, for your information, the power tracks are different from '86 and '87's. Even though both will bolt into your car, parts cannot be interchanged between them as they're not designed the same way. The '86 track used one motor mated to a plastic transmission ands the '87's used three separate motors. both are ok, but if I were you, I'd try to find the right one for your particular car...I just thought I'd let you know...:wink:
Hope this helps...

Claude :)

Claude,
Thanks for that info - I did not realize that the power seat tracks were different.
In that case I need one for an 86 GN.
Mark

Mark, in that case, the one with a single motor is the one you want. Unfortunately, the plastic transmission's plastic case sometimes desintegrates due to the plastic becoming brittle over time, but a better designed, direct bolt-on replacement can be had from Brian at GBodyParts.com Online .This enables you to use the correct track style for your '86!

Claude :wink:

I have a question, it wouldnt really matter what year you had if the track came with a switch right? As long as your swapping out assemblies (track and switch) as long as it went up down front back ect.... It will still bolt up and work correctly..... RIGHT? :confused:

Currently i just parted out a 84, and it came with BOTH seats that were power (bench) but they bolt up the same as the buckets correct?

Just wondering.

BW

I have a question, it wouldnt really matter what year you had if the track came with a switch right? As long as your swapping out assemblies (track and switch) as long as it went up down front back ect.... It will still bolt up and work correctly..... RIGHT?

BW

Yes.

:) Then i have 2 power seat tracks that i need to sell.

Whats the going rate, 100.00?

BW

Wh1doll,
The switch I currently have has 7 pins.

Quick6'n'K.C.,
Does your '84 seat track assembly have the one motor with transmission or multiple motors?
Can you send me a picture and possibly we can determine if it will work?
e-mail skilake99@msn.com

Mark

I will have to get back with you on monday, the seats are not here with me right now.
I never really looked to see how many motors there were, both seat tracks work fine, last week when i had to slide them forward and back so i could get to the bolts.

BW

Eric,
Great write-up!!
I didn't realize that I had options - but can now search the wrecking yards for the newer power seat assemblies.
Thanks once again for your valuable input.

Mark

Here's a thread on how I upgraded mine Upgrading Power Seat Motors - TurboBuicks.com

You can use the bench seat tracks for the buckets but they push the seat to close to the door IMO. I didn't like it anyway. Sorry Bryan.:frown:

I didnt realize there was a difference in the bench or bucket seat track.

I didnt click the link, you sure theres a difference in bench and bucket?

Thanks for clarifying.
I will get my money out of these somewhere...

Here are 2 pics of the bench seat tracks on my 86 GN. Pic 1 is the drivers seat and pic 2 is the passenger side. I used a drivers side power seat track from an 87 Cutlass bench to make the passenger side a power bucket. I think Claude has a thread somewhere on th conversion. Notice the seat backs are almost against the door. Like I said they will work but what I didn't like is that it was impossible to put your hand down there to pull the seat belt buckle up or to use the switch unless you opened the door.

Attachments

• Bench Seat-1.jpg
    Bench Seat-1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Bench Seat-2.jpg
    Bench Seat-2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 88
I always tease my buds here.. You sure that car wasnt in a demo derby, flipped upside down and landed in a pond? You positive those pics are accuate? LOL

Anyone else confirm there is a difference in the tracks, ive never known GM to spend alot of money.
BW:)

power seat track help...

I think Claude has a thread somewhere on th conversion.

Yup...I wrote about this on June 4th '07, entitled "RIGHT SIDE side power seat track installation complete!" Do a search and you should be able to find it. Feel free to ask any questions you want...it"ll be my pleasure to help if I can...

Here's the first post I wrote that started the whole thread:

-"I finally finished the installation of a passenger side power seat in my GN. Everything has been made to look as if the car came out of the factory that way. This includes routing an original orange/black power wire under the carpet all the way to the power outlet under the dash, finding a right side plastic trim piece that houses the switches, some minor rewiring so the seat goes it the wanted direction when a switch is pushed (because when using a driver side power seat track on the passenger side, the wires have to be reversed for the up and down feature to operate correctly and then, interchanged from the front motor with the rear motor for the whole seat to go in the right direction). Last, the only thing remaining was to modify the seat "legs" so the seat is moved inboard 1 in. because the track, being made for use on the left side moves the seat too much near the door when used on the right side. This causes the seat to come in contact with the seat belt anchor in the floor. Moving the seat 1 in. solves the problem.
- That's it!...A perfect "original" looking passenger's power seat installation!
Claude :)-"

The only parts unique between the bench and the buckets are the outer seat tracks. The ones closest to the doors. I dont have any pics but it appears that steel mounting legs that are riveted to aluminum track are the only real difference.

One of my projects is to use the 40 section from a Grand Prix with the 40/60 split bench in my GN. Kind of like the 45/45 seats in a Limited. Only mine will be 40/40. I took the console out and put a column shift in it many years ago. I like the GP seat because the foam is molded to look like a bucket seat. The wife hates the buckets and rough ride of the GN. Me? As long as I can drive non stop without a back ache. And of course they will get the black and gray pallex seat covering. I would have gone with something better but I wanted to keep the 80's feel of the car. That includes crappy seats.