Power seat question

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
I have an 86 with a power bucket. The seat transmission self destructed and scattered parts across the floorboard. I'm researching a fix, including the possibility of going manual. I'm really not interested in replacing mine with essentially the same thing - another 26 year old crusty plastic piece.

I see that 87 seat motors/transmissions are different, and possibly better. If I should find one, am I correct in assuming that I would need the track assembly as well as the motor/transmission? What if it's a 60/40? Switch/electrical connection the same? If I should get one, what other cars would I find the same motor/transmission? What other cars have a usable track assembly/motor combo to fit the Gbody? Are 4-door Gbody tracks the same as well?

I have an 86 with a power bucket. The seat transmission self destructed and scattered parts across the floorboard. I'm researching a fix, including the possibility of going manual. I'm really not interested in replacing mine with essentially the same thing - another 26 year old crusty plastic piece.

I see that 87 seat motors/transmissions are different, and possibly better. If I should find one, am I correct in assuming that I would need the track assembly as well as the motor/transmission? What if it's a 60/40? Switch/electrical connection the same? If I should get one, what other cars would I find the same motor/transmission? What other cars have a usable track assembly/motor combo to fit the Gbody? Are 4-door Gbody tracks the same as well?

"scottyb", I know that Brian at "GBodyParts.com Online" sells a replacement "transmission" for '86 and older GN's made with a much more resistant plastic than the original ones. Maybe you should call him?...(At least, that's what I'd do...):wink: That would be less trouble and would also keep your car original.
Here's a link: GBodyParts.com Online

As for using an '87 track, yes it will bolt and work in your car, but parts are not interchangeable between the '86 (and older) and '87 tracks. You'll have to use the whole '87 track for it to work. For some reason, GM changed the power seat track design starting in '87 cars...:rolleyes:

hope this helps,

Claude. :wink:

All the 87 and above will bolt to your seats, be they bucket or 60/40, 2 or 4 door G-bodys. They are an infinitely better unit than the old style like you have. Even GM front drives through the 90s will work, from Park Avenues and such. They will bolt to your seats.

looka-lika dis .......

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 77
As for using an '87 track, yes it will bolt and work in your car, but parts are not interchangeable between the '86 (and older) and '87 tracks. You'll have to use the whole '87 track for it to work. For some reason, GM changed the power seat track design starting in '87 cars...:rolleyes:

hope this helps,

Claude. :wink:

Because the 86 and older design, SUCKED :biggrin:

Because the 86 and older design, SUCKED :biggrin:

John is right about this....and I believe he has this power seat assembly for sale....I almost bought it from him, but had to back out due to a high hospital bill that came in....why don't you check with John and see if he has this power seat motor set for sale....It'll fit right in your car....same one as I have, they work just great. With John, you couldn't be dealing with a more honest guy.

Bruce '87 Grand National