Power Plate and Alky compatible?

BLACKBADGER

Have read alot of good things in regard to the Power Plate. Can it be used with the SMC kit? Every one says it redistributes air inflow to those cylinders that run lean on air(rich). Thus improving performance(i.e Torque) One particular post said that a car would run like a pregnant dog if the SMC was used. "Bogg down at 12-13lbs" A hog at WOT! Making those areas even more rich, nullifying the benefit of the plate if Alky is used. Seems like it would better distribute the colder/mixed charge. Would it make the same air starved cylinders actually run richer? Would like some honest imput by those who have tried it with Alky before I buy a Plate. Maybe I just need to stick with alky as it does work! Thanks!:confused:

Sure it will work...

They do two different things. The power plate evenly distributes the flow....the alcy lets you run higher boost with pump gas.

I've got both a power plate and a SMC alcohol kit on my DAILY driver. No problems at all. As a matter of fact, the car runs better since I put the plate on (as it should) about 5 months ago. I've been running the SMC kit for 1 1/2 years.

The people that say it won't work haven't tried it.

Good Luck,
John

The power plate also seems to help eliminate transitional knock with high timing chips. I am experimenting with mine right now with the thrasher 108.

I would think that depending on what type of alky or alky/water you are running, the benefits aren't really as a "fuel" but to cool the hot intake charge, so it's not really setting up a "rich" condition anyway.

I've been running the SMC kit for about a year. Just installed the Power Plate before going to Bowling Green. My car went 12.70s at over 111 MPH on hard radial tires and pure pump gas. The difference I noticed versus before the Power Plate is that transitional knock at part throttle is less than before and at the top end my retard is almost zero vs about 3-5 deg before. I'm convinced that the PP is worth the effort.

PP and SMC!

They work...I installed my Power Plate first and noticed a big difference, detonation just disappeared...added dual nozzle SMC kit and wow...that works too. I am running 24 PSI with 0 knock on this car...and with my combo u can imagine what kind of a can I open out on the street. :D

I too have the SMC with the RJC PP. The combo works great with 24# and 18* and no knock. However, when I go to a 26* chip with the same setup I pick up more knock than I care to have.

What's the amount of timing that you guys are using for your SMC/RJC setup? and are you seeing the same thing that I am.

26* is typically more than most run with alky.

My only other worry is that with a lot (I mean A LOT!) of alky is may condense on the power plate, and cause irregularities. Hasn't seemed to be a problem yet, and I am only speculating. Many seem to make it work just fine.

I've tried several chips with my SMC setup and have settled on
Red's 100 which has 26* timing (it's an old 100). At the Nats I was able to run 21 PSI boost with only 1 deg of retard at the very top of 3rd gear. Next time at the track I plan to crank the boost up another pound or two and up the fuel pressure a bit. By the way, I've had my 100 chip modified to run the injectors static at the top end. I need all the fuel I can get since my Blue top injectors are close to being maxed out.

I'm running a John Craig TA49 and a V4 stock location INtercooler. No other mods except the basic recipe and the power plate. I've had this combo for about 4 years. It went 12.70 @ 111.2 at BG with hard street radials. Has gone 12.13 at my home track with soft recap radials.

Running a Lubrant 100+ 23deg. Installed PP and SMC at the same time. All I know is this thing flies now on 91 92 or 93 oct. Can run 24lbs. w/ 0 knock.:cool:

I just ran 12.1 @113 with the power plate and SMC alky. This was a very traction limited run.

Thanks for all the replys. Looks like my GN either doesn't like 26* or I have more tuning to do.

The first time at the track I ran a 13.0 at 109mph. My 60ft was a nasty 2.3, I have a 8 pos max effort, TA-48, red stripes, ATR 3", no cat, 2.5" Hooker cat back, 307HW and of course the SMC and RJC.

That time was with 26*, 20psi, fuel psi at 49 line off, and pump speed at about 3/4. I know this car is quicker than that. When I changed the timing to 18* and turned the boost up to 21-23 psi. The car felt much stronger:)

I have went head to head on the Interstate with a buddy of my who has a blown 5.0 and were neck and neck up to about 115 when we pulled out of it. He runs 12.2 and 117mph. So I know my GN is quick. I just don't know how quick until I can hook up and bring that 60ft time down.

I never got to run the 18* with higher boost at the track due to time constraints, but it seemed to be the trick for my ride.

So, heres the age old question are you guys seeing better results with more timing and less boost or visa versa. I have a pretty small turbo being a TA-48 so this may be the reason for the car liking the 18* and more boost.

Last question. With no more tuning at 109 mph what should my ET be?

Thanks

Frank

109 would be low 12s.

I am trying to figure out which my car likes better, timing or boost. I have a ME 16, but I think I had him set up the timing too low. The street settings are 18* with the timing going to 20* as the rpms go up. The race settings are 23*. The setting I was using was the race setting one notch towards the leaner side.

109 MPH

I had the exact same problem, I cannot launch due to vaccum brakes...I can get maybe 1 PSI before they either pull or break way. SO my 60 foots are 2.1-2.2 with awful ETs and bad ass traps... 110-112 I kept running 13.0-13.2 then I dropped th eboost 2 psi, and ran WHAM 12.68@104 with a 2.0 60' we had to let off cause I was running alky and pump gas and we got too much detonation in 3rd so we let off completley and coasted a 104 about 20 feet before the trap.... This is at 3800 feet also...I am moving back to houston...hehe...11s.

Orion........you have something wrong with your brakes if you can only hold 1lb of boost with a vacuum set up. I have held almost 10lbs on the line with mine. The secret is to not do a power brake style burnout as this heats up the rear shoes and drums. You might also want to adjust up your rear shoes.

GNVAIR

When you launch with that much boost how are you keeping from lighting up the tire when your in full boost?

I only have the powermaster setup with stock W.C. and I can only hold 1psi at the line before I break loose.

If I could just learn how to launch this thing!

Lee, when you powerbrake at 10psi, do you rev the car up first to build vacuum? I'm getting ready to convert to vacuum this weekend and am curious how you do it. I'm also considering a vacuum canister with a check valve to hold reserve vacuum for such occasions. Theoretically, vacuum shouldn't be "used up" while powerbraking if the reservior isn't leaking should it? How much drag do you run on your brakes? I have a linelock for burnout.