Power braking!!!!

cesarp

Just an observation. This is on my 84 T Type. If I hold the foot on the brake and press slowly on the gas it starts burning rubber at about 3 ~ 5 PSI with new tires. The tires are stock size with original rims. They are cooper cobra GT something. They look very agressive. Anyways, when I'm trying to race at a light & do a powerbrake launch I can only go up to like 1 ~ 3 PSI then launch with a 2nd gear scratch every time. The only mods that I have are below. I alway here people saying they are taking of at like 7 ~ 10 PSI when they launch but I can't seem to do it because it rips them up UUUUURRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH and smoke everywhere. I guess you all are probably going to recommend better tires but I think these are good for daily driver.

You are correct.. Better Tires.. The BFG Drag Radials on stock rims work pretty damn good.. I heard the Nittos are as good and in some cases better..

Not exactly sure what youre asking, but if you are saying that you ARE sucessfully able to hold 7-10psi (without the tires breaking loose before) at the line and when you let off the brake your tires smoke, then YES you need better traction (tires).

If you are saying that you cant hold that much boost without the tires breaking loose first, then you need better brakes. Some go with S10 wheel cylinders for this. Softer brake shoes may help too. Search over at gnttype.org for the specifics.
I have had the S10 wheel cylinders (with Auto Zone brake shoes:rolleyes: ) on mine for a few years now, and I can hold more boost than before. I think i was able to hold almost 10psi at the track once. Traction was another story though as I basically did a burn out through first and into second gear when I let off the brake. Yove got to get both aspects working for you. Being able to leave with more boost is what you want to try to do, but getting it to the pavement is what really matters.

I'm saying I can't hold that much boost because the tires will break loose. I have new brake pads and everything is adjusted properly to my knowledge. I guess I'll double check this weekend. So what some of you are saying is unless my mods below added 1,000HP there is something wrong with my brakes ?

These cars produce ALOT of tourque. Its alot on the brakes to hold. There is probably nothing wrong with your brakes. Adding the S10 wheel cylinders is a upgrade that has been done for years because they are stronger than our stock ones.
It doesnt take a 1,000 HP. A pretty much stock one of these torque monsters will have trouble holding alot of boost, especially with a couple of mods/tuning. Exhaust and air intake mods will free up alot more hp/torque not to mention spool up. A chip really wakes the cars up too, and makes it more aggressive. Even if you find something wrong with your brakes, as you continue to mod you may eventually find the need to upgrade if you want to hold boost.

what's the p/n on the S10 wheel cylinders? I've been wanting to change them out.

Originally posted by Turtle TR
what's the p/n on the S10 wheel cylinders? I've been wanting to change them out.
This is a part # I just got off gnttype.org : new 7/8" Bendix wheel cylinders (#WC37644T)

Its been awhile, but I remember getting mine from Advanced Auto and they were from a manual brake S10. I know I originally got the info from gnttype.org a long time ago. Cant seem to find it though.