Power Antenna Motor

iwantatta

Anybody know where to get a new motor for the power antenna. Mine got stuck in the up position. Right now its in the shop and nobody seems to carry it.
They were hoping it would be simple buy just repairing it. But he said that the motor is shot.

Is it stuck in the up position and the motor just runs? Most of the time the nylon cable inside broke. If you got the car that way, chances are that someone snipped one of the wires to make it stop. If that's the case, you need this:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Sometimes you can find the kit on Ebay that just has the nylon cable, but I didn't see any today. They were discontinued by GM.
If the motor burnt out, you could probably get an antenna from someone parting a car out and swap in a new mast and you should be good. I don't hear too many problems with the motor burning out.

Is it stuck in the up position and the motor just runs? Most of the time the nylon cable inside broke. If you got the car that way, chances are that someone snipped one of the wires to make it stop. If that's the case, you need this:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Sometimes you can find the kit on Ebay that just has the nylon cable, but I didn't see any today. They were discontinued by GM.
If the motor burnt out, you could probably get an antenna from someone parting a car out and swap in a new mast and you should be good. I don't hear too many problems with the motor burning out.

I've had the car for a few years and it had been operating fine. It was stuck in the up position with the motor running. Couldn't find a way to turn it off without disconnecting the battery so i took it to a shop. They originally ordered somekind of repair kit but they said they couldn't fix it because the motor was bad.

Most of the time - it is just the nylon cable. Chances are if the motor was running, there was nothing wrong with it. I don't know how well you trust the shop you brought it to, but there is probably nothing wrong with the motor. Thirdgen is a wealth of info for small problems with these cars. One snip of a wire under the dash would have stopped it from running. The only thing I can think of is if the motor is burnt maybe you burnt it because it kept running?

Most of the time - it is just the nylon cable. Chances are if the motor was running, there was nothing wrong with it. I don't know how well you trust the shop you brought it to, but there is probably nothing wrong with the motor. Thirdgen is a wealth of info for small problems with these cars. One snip of a wire under the dash would have stopped it from running. The only thing I can think of is if the motor is burnt maybe you burnt it because it kept running?

After researching, i am beginning to wonder if the motor is bad. I'm guessing replacing the wire may have been a little too much work or probably was unsure of how to do it. Replacing the whole assembly would have been much easier for him. I may have to take it out myself and find out. I drove it a couple of miles to the shop with the antenna motor running. When i got there he saw what it was doing. Not sure how long the car was sitting there doing that, but he had the car apart within a few hours to tell me the problem. My fault for even using the darn thing (radio). Didn't realize the seriousness of the situation in finding the replacement. So if it is just the wire, do i just get what 8289ta said?

The complete unit might be a generic one size fits all replacement. If the motor runs, it is probably still good. I would try to repair it if that is the case. I did mine myself, and it is relatively easy to repair. There are not too many new ones around that are specific to our car, and those that are sell for big money. The replacements look like replacements. They don't look right. If you do need to replace it, I recommend finding one from a car being parted out, and repairing it if necessary.

Brian has the repair kit or a complte unit. I grabbed one a BPG this year. GBodyParts.com Online

I went ahead and got this one. Its a rebuilt complete unit. Kind of expensive but they give you 100 core refund. Hopefully it is the same. Trying to keep it stock as possible. That thread on the TurboTrans am forums gives you an appreciation for a good working antenna. I won't be using the radio in my regal any time soon.

Glad there is help on getting these things fixed. Makes it alot easier to swallow when things go wrong:redface:

The link didn't work. I also searched the site and couldn't find it. As long as its not for a G Body, you should be good.

The link didn't work. I also searched the site and couldn't find it. As long as its not for a G Body, you should be good.

When i called them i referenced this part
GBodyParts.com Online

They said it would work for the turbo ta. They list parts for both types of cars so hopefully mine will be okay. What are the differences between the two?

fyi - i have an antenna switch on all my fbody cars. i rarely use the radio, hence i have no need for the antenna. so i install a switch which allows me to keep the antenna down (no need to wear it out when i don't use it 99% of the time). if i want the radio - most stations still come in even with the antenna down. if i need to use the antenna, just flip on the switch.

you can mount your switch anywhere - i like hiding them in the ashtray. i also install switches so i can mount my garage door opener under the dash so it's hidden from view. i also have a cutoff switch on the '98 for my push button starter.

http://smiley.tzo.com/fbody/pics/antenna_89_switch.jpg
http://smiley.tzo.com/fbody/pics/antenna_89_dash1.jpg

http://smiley.tzo.com/fbody/pics/antenna_mod_switch.jpg
http://smiley.tzo.com/fbody/pics/button_pbs_installed2.jpg

When i called them i referenced this part
GBodyParts.com Online

They said it would work for the turbo ta. They list parts for both types of cars so hopefully mine will be okay. What are the differences between the two?
I guess they are the same! That company has a good reputation so it should be good. I think the bezel is different though, so make sure you hold on to it. It would make sense that GM would use the same antenna in different cars.