Possibly a bad MAF?!?

C

Cakes

My car was having a problem idling the other day. So i cleaned throttle body and IAC and now my poblem is about 95% gone. At idle in park it will idle good in my opinion but when I shift int gear the idle will go down to below normal idle and then back to where it should be and stay there. I had the car on a Snap ON scanner and all numbers seemed reasonable.....IAC did seem a little slow. But what I found interesting was people on here said to unplug the MAF and see how it runs. Well with it unpluged it runs better but it also idles higher and I dont know if thats why it runs better? Anyone have any suggestions? By the way the MAF is a rebuilt AC unit. Thanks for your help in advance!

Typically people do a tap test. While its running tap on the MAF and see if anything changes. Most likly if it runs better unpluged it's screwed. The remans are not known to be too realible.

Originally posted by Buick T
Typically people do a tap test. While its running tap on the MAF and see if anything changes. Most likly if it runs better unpluged it's screwed. The remans are not known to be too realible.

that doesn't always work, i tapped my remaned MAF and not change...but oh my was it bad...now i have a LT1 MAF and T+ and i can't get the smile off my face :)

I also once did the tap test on my MAF with no changes at all. But when I unplugged it the car ran better just as you described. I changed the MAF and it ran great. I was having a different problem than you describe with the car though. This was a few years ago and I don't remember all the specifics, but just wanted to say in my OWN experience, the tap test did NOT work at all.

Derrick

I have done the tap test and there has been no change, but when un plugged the RPMS just pick right up and the idle smooths out. Maybe an LT1 MAF will be higher on my list.