posi unit install in a non posi rearend

boost jnky

i have a stock non posi unit rearend, i was wondering if i could just install a posi unit in it or would it be cheaper just to get a used posi rear and rebuild it?

Honestly

If you're lucky, the side shims reinstalled in the same side they came out of, the back lash MAY stay the same. @ best you need a dial indicator. If backlash is out of specs them you get into shimming the posi unit toward or away from the ring gear. If this is starting to sound diffilcult then you probably should seek help or get a complete posi housing ( assuming the posi clutches are not shot). Best of luck.

as long as you have a 3 series 28 spline 8.5 posi unit its a simple enough swap ,
3 series ---means it had to have 2.73 or higher gears , youll be reusing the ring gear off your peg leg unit ,

28 spline ---is the axle shaft spline count , cant use a posi from 89 up vehicle they are 30 spline and would require new axles , also those 30 splines are usually auburn or govloc type , best is the eaton style as the clutches in them can be replaced

and must be from an 8.5 rear

youll need a new set of ring gear bolts , locktite , and if the original shims dont give you a backlash aprox .008 youll need a shim kit to set the backlash

also there is a gasket but a small tube of rtv will work for the cover
and youll need 2qts 80-90w gl diff lube and a tube of posi additive , or synthetic

should be plenty of how to swap threads , do a search

If backlash is out of specs them you get into shimming the posi unit toward or away from the ring gear.

this should read shimming the posi unit left or right of the pinion ..yes ??

Yes

this should read shimming the posi unit left or right of the pinion ..yes ??

Actually, shimming the ring gear ( which is now bolted to the posi with left hand threads, I might add) left or right of the pinion gear.

well i dont know what route im going to take yet,i was just curious as to how big of a pain making my stocker a posi would be or just ordering a rearend from gbody parts and be done with it.