Posi or not

whiplash306

Alright ya'll...how do I tell if my car came with a posi rear end or not without goin' out and roastin' the tires....any codes, vin number secrets???..anything?

Under the trunk lid . look on the sticker for G80.
Jack up rear end of car so that both tires are off the ground, put tranny in netural, rotate one tire by hand and see if other tire rotates the same direction. If so, then limited slip.

Gary

Originally posted by Black Car
Under the trunk lid . look on the sticker for G80.
Jack up rear end of car so that both tires are off the ground, put tranny in netural, rotate one tire by hand and see if other tire rotates the same direction. If so, then limited slip.

Gary
Doing as you say with the car in the air will not tell you if you have a posi or limited slip.I have seen a non limited slip make the tires go the same way due to friction.

I have supported the car in the rear with it in park and have tryed to rotate the one wheel by had and watched for the other spinning in the opposite direction if it turns the opposite then it is usually non posi.If it locks up and will not turn by hand then it is limited slip or posi.

Checking the code will tell you if the car was built with posi but it won't tell you if it is not working right or taken out. The only absolute way is to take off the rear cover.

alright then...so the only way to tell for 100% is to remove the cover..gotcha....unfortunately, the sticker under the trunk lid has long since been removed due to an accident involving a tree smashing the trunk lid and cracking the wing (lip). I know the car is 100% original, as far as it has not been tampered with in any big way, but I'll try the wheel/tire rotation trick...thanks for the info ya'll......Jarod

do you have a small aluminum tag stating that its a lilmted slip off the 5 o clock bolt on the rear cover? Most of the factory posis do.. mine does..

Find a country road with no traffic or go to your local drag strip.
From a stop - nail it.
If you leave 2 black streaks (one for each wheel), you have posi - if only one wheel spins And the other doesn't you have a bad posi or no posi.

thats why I said *most* cars will have em.. Wonder why some had em and some didn't.. Strange GM stuff:)

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Frank.

I've owned 3 original G80 TRs and none has had a tag...

:)