Posi install / rebuild advice

DCVING 6

I would like to get a posi unit installed in my peg leg GN one of these days. I was wondering what else I would need besides ordering just the posi unit. I'm wondering about bearings, seals, etc. The car has just under 11,000 miles on it, so I would doubt that very much is worn on it.

you'll have it opened up might as well freshen everything up with the master kit, speak with jim (monzaz) at jdrace.com he'll take care of you, I know he helped me out!! :)

Hey Glen,
I would buy seals and carrier bearings at the least. If you plan on doing it yourself, I would lend you a hand. That is as long as the old lady will let us play in the garage. ;)

That is as long as the old lady will let us play in the garage. ;)

haha, just as long as there is no open flames present. :D:D

I will probably just have who ever is setting up the posi unit do it. I just wanted to see what I should and shouldn't have done so I don't get talked into anything I don't need. :redface:

if it is an 86 GN it is an 8.5 my 87 GN was a peg leg car i got the EATON posi and all the new stuff /instalation kit. Its been working great for 5 yrs :cool:

Is it a 7.5 or an 8.5?

It's an 8.5"

It actually has a Powertrax locker in it right now, but the constant clicking annoys the hell out of me.

Do you guys think the 30 spline stuff is needed? I was thinking of just doing a 28 spline posi (everyone says Auburn Pro) and sticking with the stock axles. The car will probably not see a dragstrip more than one or two trips a year. Probably 400 to the tires max.

It's an 8.5"

It actually has a Powertrax locker in it right now, but the constant clicking annoys the hell out of me.

Do you guys think the 30 spline stuff is needed? I was thinking of just doing a 28 spline posi (everyone says Auburn Pro) and sticking with the stock axles. The car will probably not see a dragstrip more than one or two trips a year. Probably 400 to the tires max.

I'd stay with the stock axles. Eaton or Auburn Pro.

It's an 8.5"

for a $250 set of axles, the rear can be bulletproof. since you have to get a posi anyway, you might as well go 30 spline .

I've been thinking about going to an aftermarket posi unit and axels because I have a transbrake now. Can someone explain the difference between a posi unit, a mini spool, and a spool. Actually I understand posi unit and spool but don't know what a mini spool is......Thanks

If your gonna drive it on the street, go with the posi. If your gonna drag it, full spool & axles. Mini spool is a poor boy spool, & long term won't last long.
Just another man opinion. Peace :)

Spools lock the axles together so there is no slip for going around corners. Posi allows slip for the axles to spin at different speeds in a corner ie.