Porsche 911 question..

Intercooled or air?

Air sweeps over into the vents, and intercooled ones have the intercoolers right behind the scoops in front of the back tires.

I'm pretty sure they are oil cooled. I remember changing the oil in a Porsche (not sure which one) and it held ALOT of oil.

Takes just about a case of oil to fill the dry sump system in my '81 SC. There is an oil radiator at the front of the car and it transfers heat similar to water cooling. Each of the opposing six heads are independent with fins for added cooling. Vertical cooling fan and shroud aims toward cylinder heads.

Heat exchangers are used for cabin heat.

The entire system works remarkably well and designed for extreme cold and heat climates by Porsche back when he designed "The peoples car" for Hiltler. Volkswagen.

Attachments

• P1010039.jpg
    P1010039.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 293
  • P4240029.jpg
    P4240029.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 291
The originals where aircooled, then they went to an oil cooler in the nose, but the latest ones are watercooled with radiators in the nose in front of the tires.

overview.gif

The originals where aircooled, then they went to an oil cooler in the nose, but the latest ones are watercooled with radiators in the nose in front of the tires.

Yes, for the old hard core 911 enthusiasts, they stopped making 911's in 1998when the water cooling began. :D

The last 911 air/oil cooled model was 993. The first water cooled model was called the 996.

I see.. So below 98 they were oil cooled? So tell me this, (i knew at least ONE of you would own a 911 lol) how are they in terms of power. Do they stack up to a TR, with the boost turned up? What are their operating temps, and how do they handle the road? How do they compare to say, an E36? (which is what I used to dd)
I've been looking at one for a long time, but was told by the local porsche mechanic, that maintenance is just horrifying on them. So I said screw it.
Tell me about 'em...

I see.. So below 98 they were oil cooled? So tell me this, (i knew at least ONE of you would own a 911 lol) how are they in terms of power. Do they stack up to a TR, with the boost turned up? What are their operating temps, and how do they handle the road? How do they compare to say, an E36? (which is what I used to dd)
I've been looking at one for a long time, but was told by the local porsche mechanic, that maintenance is just horrifying on them. So I said screw it.
Tell me about 'em...

I sold mine in 2007. It was a sad day. It was an excellent example of that model. Here's some more photos....

1981 911 SC Coupe - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

I can only speak of my car which was a 1981 euro version. It had about 18 more ponies than comparable model built for the US. 204hp vs 186hp.

It wasn't built for drag racing. While the power to weight ratio is very good, the sluggish long throw gearboxes don't favor slamming gears. The independent rear also isn't designed for burning rubber. A stock GN could beat a stock 911 in a straight line. Now a 930, a 911 with a turbo, can run some decent numbers with about 350hp.

Turning, there isn't a better design if you keep the rear loaded. Turn and brake and you have the "hammer effect". The heavy ass can pass you! :)

They can get expensive if you need serious engine work as the cylinders are replaced rather than bored. The 3.0L flat six is considered bulletproof and easily revs to 7.5K. The harder you drive the more responsive and easier to shift. The car is factory built for the track, but makes a fine street car. Unlike a Corvette, which is a street car, but makes a fine track car.

From 1978 to 1989, all the body panels were interchangable. The motors went from 3.0 in '78, to 3.2 in '84, to 3.6 in '88.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the right car came around. Like other models there are good ones and not so good ones. A PPI is always recommended by a good Porsche garage.

Porsche 911 Technical Forum - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

The Pelican Parts 911 forums are incredibly informative if you want to talk or search for info. Made the learning curve much shorter. For instance, who knew you check the engine oil level with the car running and at temp. Pretty much the opposite of way everyone was taught.

I still hang there and I'm Porscheless. Come to think of it, I'm hanging here and I'm Buickless now too. When the job goes away, so does the toys. :)

So in your opinion.. .with a good driver, and the typical mods that we utilize (te60 range turbos, and their supporting mods) how would a newer 911 fare against us?
What are the handling mods you can do to a 911, and how expensive are they?

I checked out a few porsche boards, and they are absolutely PATHETIC in terms of getting help, and quality knowledge out there. Noone answeres the questions, and most of the questions are about stupid **** like rims, radios, and paint jobs... So I ask you.

I was entertaining the thought of an older 911 one day. ALMOST traded my gn for one in the summer I took off. (07) I'm happy I didn't though..

My dad had an 86' 930....scaaaaaaary car. A GT2/3 might give a mostly stock TR a little trouble. After about 80 mph though watch out.

Rommel....that was funny.

I know who erwin rommel is, and the history... I thought someone here was talking TO a rommel.. I said that, because I thought someone may have been using an alter alias. I know a rommel on a different buick board.

I sold my 79 911 3.0 SC euro Model Last summer. It was a 5 speed, with some upgrades probably around 225-230 hp. It was a very fun car to drive. It wasnt nearly as refined as the newer cars so you really felt the road and driving experience. reminded me of a go-cart on the winding roads. As far as sports cars go it was much more fun than my wifes Z3 or her 350z. But not a straight line performance car.
79911sc.jpg

911side.jpg