Popping, Surging & Sputtering

toddmingnworld

Undead1
My GN has been shutdown for about 2 months, it was locked in the garage....My buddy replaced my downpipe the other day and when we got done, we took her for a drive...My car idles extremely rough & runs piss poor when you get into her....It's breaking up bad...The 02's #'s are all good. No codes....TPS is .44
all other vital signs on the scanmaster look normal...FP is set to 48 psi w/line off....The car sure does generate high KR anywhere
between 4-10 degrees every single time we got into it like it's starving for fuel or something....

I'm going to be going with Razor's Alky Kit here soon but I don't know if their's something fuel wise this thing needs or what....We're going to replace plugs & wires and go from there...
Any suggestions on where to look after this?

Todd

back down on the fuel pressure may be to rich and can cause that to happen. start at 42lbs and see how she reacts.:)

I agree with turning down your FP some. Also test your coils on your coil pack to see if you're getting between 11-15k ohms. If not that's your problem. Also check to make sure your ground wires are intact.

Report Back...

James

Is the battery in decent shape? I have seen several strange things that come down to a weak battery charge or poor connection in the enging compartment.

Borrow a friends Mass Air Flow Sensor, I went crazy, same symptoms as you have, Bought a reman sensor, put it on, same problem, but worse, so I figured it was something else. After replacing and re checking everything, I borrowed a buddys sensor, which I know was good, and problem was solved. I went back to NAPA and exchanged it for another one, basicly the same problems again, replaced it 1 more time (3 total) and this one worked fine. So in short, make sure you put in a known good maf sensor, just because its new, does not mean it's any good!

Runs crappy after friend installs downpipe hmmmm. Exhaust leak, cracked header maybe?? Was it running good before your buddy messed with it?

sounds a lot like a bad ground possibly, pull the plugs i bet they are fouled with that kinda fuel pressure, drop a new set of plugs in, set the fuel to 42 or so like stated above and see where that gets ya. Make sure all your grounds are good, and make sure the new DP didn't heat up and burn your possitive wire goin to the starter causing it to ground out(happened to me with a new dp). Good luck

Thanks gentlemen, those are some great suggestions...when the weather warms up some, we'll try these....

JDSfastGN,

The first thing we're going to do is replace the plugs & the wires & check the coil pack....The FP I guess is too high...I'll take that down a little bit....That THDP was a motha to get loose from the dump pipe....My buddy had to use a propane torch to loosen it up...

turbot2496,

No exhaust leaks...that problematic header was fixed some time ago....My car was running good until I broke the rocker arm trying to adjust the boost level....25psi's and ka-put..:mad:

Todd

the easiest thing to check first is to make sure the battery cable isn't burnt onto the DP;)

run rough

i had just found my prob was egr . it would open up under boost and car would fall on its face and blow black smoke . could look in that direction andy:rolleyes:
also check plug wiring to see if correct.