• Let body shop paint it

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Leave it alone

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

troGNman

Got Portholes?
I recently had my car in for some warranty work (wiper module) at my local Buick dealership and discovered some paint damage upon picking the car up.

It looks like the a dirty fender cover was used and it scratched the paint in several places with one section that was ~1 1/2" long. It goes through the paint and it is pretty deep.

The dealer owned up to it and offered to fix the damage which will require them repainting most of the passenger fender and almost all of the hood to "blend in" the paint to match the rest. I've heard people say that a repaint is never the same as the factory or that it will never match. I don't want overspray or paint prep gunk all over every seam or crack.

Should I bite my tongue and touch it up and live with it or let the body shop have it? I've got til the 29th to make up my mind and just wanted to hear some opinions from others. I'm still prett pi55ed about the whole situation.

Attachments

• 3-17-10 011.jpg
    3-17-10 011.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 3-17-10 018.jpg
    3-17-10 018.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 196
Depends where it is brought to be repainted. Tough call. It's kinda hard to see how bad it actually is. Doesn't look too bad and touch up paint might do the trick but if they are offering to paint it I would tell them that YOU will choose where to get it painted. See what they say to that. Otherwise, they will will bring it to the cheapest place they can find.

As long as it it's a certified reputable shop I don't see why they would bark.

Its seems to bother you appernetly so I would say go for the repaint..

Make sure it is to you satisfaction.. Seems like today they can nail it right on the nose & do a good blending job on the respray with the products that are availible to the body shop world.

Make sure you notify the GM regional offices of the sloppy work done by the tech. We know the dealer is aware and hopefully has had a talk with the mechanic who worked on it.

Chances are by the time you trade it in down the road who will care what was done

I would NOT paint it.

The light scratches will buff out with a random orbital polisher and you should be able to fix the deep scratch with something like this or this.

I have never actually used either of those systems but I like to browse detailing forums and people who are really into it say they work very well as long as you take your time and follow the directions exactly.

I agree with "blob"...see if you can have it buffed first, then see what it looks like. You may be suprised with the results.

Beware of this or that product.. they all sound good but how do they last down the road? Make the dealer worry about how they should fix it.

If you don't like the fix refuse it until they get it right.

The car is 2 years old and stays mostly in the garage, bought it "new". The paint should match pretty well because sunfade won't be an issue.

The body shop at the dealer will be handling the repair work. The white mark in the fender is the deepest spot so I doubt a buff will remove that. Besides, new car paint is not as thick as it used to be.

The Blob, I checked out both of those links that you sent and they kept referring to "Blob" removal. What's up with that? :eek::p

Chuck,

Tell the dealer to get you some GM color matched touchup paint along with clear. You can use the touchup paint to fill in the deep scratch and wetsand it down so it is smooth. If you need help with this I am only a short ride away.

Do not lay paint on that car! With the heavy metallic in the paint I would hate to see panels painted and blended!

Do not lay paint on that car!

I could not agree more.

They are proposing to repaint half the damn car over a 1.5" scratch. That tells you all you need to know.

I would live with the scratch before I let them paint it.