Polishing Engine Parts

t3intercooled

Does anyone have a good way to polish items like the plenum and intake etc? Like maybe using a drill or by another means. Being cooped up all winter i need something to keep me busy lol

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

For the nooks and tight spaces in the intake get a Dremel with the cable extension with a ton of sanders and polishers. For the large open areas a die grinder with sanding rolls.

if he doesn't see this thread, message "coach" on here. He is in the middle of an incredible build with incredible parts.

For the nooks and tight spaces in the intake get a Dremel with the cable extension with a ton of sanders and polishers. For the large open areas a die grinder with sanding rolls.

No with dremel and attachments do you need any solution to use with the atrachments and such to polish them

Go on eastwoods website. They will have just about all you need. Plus informational videos. And once you get an idea of what is needed and needs to be done you can source the materials elsewhere cause Eastwood tends to run a little on the higher end price wise. They do have some nice products like the greaseless compound and what not. Over all it takes practice well more knowledge technique and awareness to get really great results but it is not thats hard. Wet sanding is quick way to cut through imperfections and prep work is very important. Washing the work piece between steps also important as is keeping the buffing wheels separate for each step. Just a little quick info. Hope it helped. There's always YouTube too. Joel

It is also nice idea to maybe have powder coat in clear since after you polish everything it needs to constantly be maintained.
You might want to start with something easy and see how it goes. I polished an alternator case for my first project; the alt was completely disassembled and as the above post said wash in between steps.
I later did a dog house, and a LS1 MAF, Water pump, Compressor housing. It looks nice, but I didnt get mine cleard and had to polish regularly.
I used polishing compound from the dremel section at Lowes and finished with a regualr Mag Aluminum polish.

I found a little trick for cleaning polished aluminum after neglecting it for a while. You know when it starts getting the white corrosion on it. Use some mystery oil on a rag it cuts the oxidation right off. I saw it on you tube then tried it and I must say was impressed. It saves alot of time when touching up.

I found a little trick for cleaning polished aluminum after neglecting it for a while. You know when it starts getting the white corrosion on it. Use some mystery oil on a rag it cuts the oxidation right off. I saw it on you tube then tried it and I must say was impressed. It saves alot of time when touching up.

No shit?? I'm going to try that immediately. I hate when my polished parts get oxidized. I've also heard great things about sharkhide once you have things polished up to prevent any corrosion/oxidation

http://www.sharkhide.com/

if your pulleys are oxidizing they havent been sealed properly. they need to be sealed. Zoops Seal or professional Aluminum coating is the reccomended product. Using Oil to remove the corrosion will eventually turn the polished item yellow as the oil is absorbed into the aluminum and begins to turn color from dirt.

It cuts down the oxidation easier than polish. You still have to polish the item but saves some time knocking it down. I have never used the zoops sealer sounds good. But I'm just saying the mystery oil works