PM Failure - Spooky!

TurboTJT

Let me first say this PM failure happened off road. I acquired a '87 T that's in need of a resto and has been parked 4-5 years. The wires to the gray pressure switch were damaged by mice and were non functional. I also notice what appeared to be an original, all black "Eaton" accumulator, definately not the much newer Cardone style.

The car could be trailered and idled around the property with hard, manual braking. I decide to repair the damaged pressure switch wires just to see if the PM could provide any assist.

What actually happened next was spooky! The PM cycled on and off repeatly in a steady rythem, it wouldn't stop cycling. I quickly went to check the brake pedal and it had been sucked down completely to the carpet. I reached down to retract it and noticed it basically dangled through out its entire stroke. At this point I had no brake pedal whatsoever, NADA!

Shut it down, unhooked the wires to the pressure switch and still had no brake pedal, absolutely nothing. Then I noticed trapped brake line pressure had locked the front calipers, couldn't even move the car. I carefully bleed off some pressure to release them. Finally everything was back to what I started with, which was manual braking only. The brake pedal was firm once again.

Can anyone explain what happend during this total brake failure?
Again I have my brakes back, but only with a great manual effort.