Play in the front end

slow305

One Cool Guy
What needs to be replaced to "tighten up" the steering? It seems really sloppy now that I've been driving around a newer car more often and I would like to fix at least some of the play. This is the list I have so far:

Moog AMGDS909 - Moog Replacement Center Links
Moog AMGES2032S - Moog Tie Rod Sleeves
Moog AMGK6145T - Moog Ball Joints - lower
Moog AMGK5208 - Moog Ball Joints - upper
Moog AMGES2034RLT - Moog Problem Solver Inner Tie Rod Ends
or
Moog AMGES2033RLT - Moog Problem Solver Outer Tie Rod Ends
(whats the difference between inner and outer?)

Anything missing? What have you guys done? Would it be better just to spring for tubular A-arms with all bushings and ball joints already installed?

You might want to inspect your rag joint on your steering shaft for play. The fix is a jeep component that has been identified in several earlier posts.

hello; Funny I have this thing in my steering wheel that feels kind of sloppy. I was told it was bearings in the streering shaft and either to replace the shaft or the bearings for like 5 bills! I know nothing about the shaft but maybe he wants to give it to me but I'am going to try and educate myself on it so I know what I'am talking about.
IBBY

You might want to inspect your rag joint on your steering shaft for play. The fix is a jeep component that has been identified in several earlier posts.

Check the upper control bushings & the Idler Arm also, common wear items.

Both very interesting points. I didn't even know about the shaft but I've now been looking into getting one. I noticed on G-Body parts website that they have a complete Moog kit with all the parts including idler arm. After the shaft, I'll definitely look into picking one of those up.

Have your front end inspected by an honest repair shop- No use buying new parts when the old parts may be in good condition.

+1 on the Jeep steering shaft. I put one in my car a month ago and I could feel an immediate difference while backing out of my driveway the first time!

John

Have your front end inspected by an honest repair shop- No use buying new parts when the old parts may be in good condition.

+1 on the Jeep steering shaft. I put one in my car a month ago and I could feel an immediate difference while backing out of my driveway the first time!

John

I think I read your post elsewhere. Ah yes, here it is:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...els/298687-grand-cherokee-steering-shaft.html

I think "honest" shops is a subjective term. When I went to get my car inspected two years ago, the upper ball joints were out of spec and had to be replaced, which makes me think that other things are on their way out too. I would have done the work myself, but my ship was leaving the next day and I just didn't time. Just that made a noticeable difference, but not huge.