Plastic Tire Chains.

Ormand

Years ago, I had some things like tire chains, but there was no metal involved. There were cleats that ran across the tire, and they were made out of hard rubber, or plastic. (It was yellow, not sure what the actual material was) They had straps to hold them onto the wheel, sort of like tire chains. They weren't as good as metal chains, especially on ice or packed snow. But they didn't hurt the tire, and they didn't wear out quickly, when you drove them on dry pavement. Also, if one of them broke, the loose end flopping around wouldn't do a lot of damage, unlike "real" tire chains. Plus, they were very light, so you could carry them in the trunk "just in case". They were great for North Carolina, where it snows rarely, and the snow melts quickly. For those of us who use our Buicks as daily drivers, they would be a good thing to have, for those times when you can't avoid going out, even though you would rather be driving something else. But now I can't find the things. Anybody know where I might get some?

Never Heard of them :confused: but would like to see them...

Snow tires/Studs (if you are worried about ice) are the way to go IMO

The GoClaws are pretty close, but not exactly the same. I may get some, and see how they work. If there was enough snow or ice here so that I really needed snow tires and/or studs, I would move! The advantage of the non-metallic "chains" is that they work well in areas where the snow may make them needed in the morning, but is then gone by afternoon.

chains

y not just use cable chains...they are small and not heavy and fit in a tiny bag...sell them all the time at work

I think the cable chains are like other metal chains, in that they wear out really fast if you drive on pavement with no snow. In this part of the country, you can have an inch or two of snow in the morning, and 60 degree weather in the afternoon. So, you get up, put on the chains (plastic or metal) and drive to work. When you come home the roads are clean. Cables wear out, and whang against the fenders, very soon.

Plastic Tire Chains

Ormand--

I know the yellow plastic tire chains that you are referring to. They were around in the mid 1970's.

Unforunately, I do not remember the brand name. I don't know why they disappeared....whether they were ineffective or just went out of business.

Maybe someone still has a set sitting in their garage. Please let us know.