PL no linkie..

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Posted over on the Tweak board, too.
Had it working the first go-round, and made 1 test log.
Car is done, and I am trying to log a cold start issue.
I have tried several times to link up.
Worked one time w/ "monitoring" showing as being on. Still no data shown. Record turns on, but no record of data is retained. [If there was any].
Looking at "My programs"...PL not shown, but all others I use, are.
SM worked, and allowed me to scan thru, several times. Now, it too is non responsive. [On, but locked up]
SM is locked whether or not, the PL is hooked up.
UPDATE: Tried to look in Device mgr..Tested all ports. Reported OK. Saw no indication the PL was hooked up thru a port.
The PL green LED blinks 1 time on key on, and also on key off. Does not remain on.
Uninstall, and re install?
Ideas?

Just did one this week.
Uninstall and reinstall the drivers only. When it asks for driver, point it to the directory the driver is in.

Edit.
Sounds like a PL board to ecm connection issue?

key on and off blinks are normal.

if this is a recent PL (the last year or so), then the driver stuff is signed and handled by windows. You will see USB Serial Port in the ports section.

the PLC program is not "installed" so there won't be anything in the "programs" stuff in windows.

The datastream to the PL is not dependent on the PLC program. And you should be fully up to date, no updates or reflashes necessary.

So. what is showing in device manager?

Bob

key on and off blinks are normal.

if this is a recent PL (the last year or so), then the driver stuff is signed and handled by windows. You will see USB Serial Port in the ports section.

the PLC program is not "installed" so there won't be anything in the "programs" stuff in windows.

The datastream to the PL is not dependent on the PLC program. And you should be fully up to date, no updates or reflashes necessary.

So. what is showing in device manager?

Bob

Com port shows 1 greyed out, w/ automatic checked.
Shows port choices from 1 to 4 w/ it unchecked. The LT has 3 ports. I've tried all of them.

USB controllers
std enhanced pci to USB host
std open HCD USB host cont
" " " " " "
usb root hub
" " "
" " "

That's it. It shows nothing different when I'm hooked up to the ecm.
I dumped the program and re-installed per the disc/manual instructions.

Should the green LED remain lit if there is communication?

Thanks for the help!

is nothing showing in the "ports" section (up a bit from USB), in the device manager?

what version of the powerlogger software are you using, how old is the PL?

B

here is mine, current version powerlogger, Win7 laptop

devicemgr.jpg

the green led blinks while logging. it does not do anything when you "connect"

Bob

is nothing showing in the "ports" section (up a bit from USB), in the device manager?

what version of the powerlogger software are you using, how old is the PL?

B

Version 2.5.2.6 I got it on 4/2/15 from Scot at GNS.
Ports shows only ECP printer port [LPT1]

FWIW, this LT is at least 10 yrs old. Never had a problem w/ it, B4 I tried PL install. I borrowed another LT, installed PL and it worked OK.
I then got it to work 1 time, some months ago, and made a test log. Now, it's down again. Would it be likely that the LT is so old, it's like me?? Forgetting stuff??:smuggrin:

Dum ? Do I have to have the PL hooked up to see what's showing on the ports? I'm in my office and on the desktop.
I just tried it w/ the PL hooked up.. No difference. Unplugged the cables, plugged them back up, checked the terminal board, all on and tite.

Last edited:
the laptop will not see the PL unless it is plugged in and key on.

if there is nothing showing up in the USB section, then its like the laptop is not seeing anything at all.

what version of windows is on the laptop? probably XP at that age. anyway, try the other usb ports and see if you can get the laptop to see the hardware.

Bob

the laptop will not see the PL unless it is plugged in and key on.

if there is nothing showing up in the USB section, then its like the laptop is not seeing anything at all.

what version of windows is on the laptop? probably XP at that age. anyway, try the other usb ports and see if you can get the laptop to see the hardware.

Bob
Ok... Tried both ways, and also tried all the USB ports.. Nada. I tested all the ports. They report as being ok.
It's XP.
I'll get another Lt, and see what happens.
The system is Windows XP Pro, dated 2002. Service pack 3.
Walmart has some good prices on ACER, HP, etc, laptops. Some I can get w/ 7 on them. Would you suggest 7 over 8.1, etc?

Thanks for your help!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

UPDATE:
Tried another LT. The auto feature on the USB ports evidently didn't work. Had to go from 1 to 4, w/ 4 working/linking ok.
KOEO, even tho I am in monitor mode, no data is being shown. Started the engine.. Same results. Record lites up, but retrieves no data. SM is working, as is the PLX WB.
Next is?
Clean the board, again?
Send it back for testing?

yes, clean and recheck the installation, make sure there is no pressure on the PL board.

If you are still not getting ECM data after that, then it probably needs to take a trip.

Bob

yes, clean and recheck the installation, make sure there is no pressure on the PL board.

If you are still not getting ECM data after that, then it probably needs to take a trip.

Bob
Cleaned the board.. No luck.
Had 1 more option... another LT, [that's 3 I've tried, all loaded the exact same way], that I had access to...WALA! worked like a charm.
Made a cold start log, and saved it. Now, I need to move it from a thumbstick, [zipped], to my PC.
Whats the best way to do this?

Thanks for the help!!(y)

Haven't used a pc in awhile. I used win zip on the pc and then drag to desktop