Piston-to-Valve Clearance

UncleDave

In the Booster Seat
Forgive my post in the true valve lift thread, I didn't want to hijack so I'll start a new one:

Pistons are installed at zero deck clearance, and even with the reliefs I'm a bit concerned about the PTV clearance, so I want to check it before closing her up. Hopefully the experts can let me know if I'm on the right track.

When I've done this on SBC's I just tightened a few bolts to hold the head in place but didn't actually torque it to spec, but I'm wondering if it's necessary to do it on the Buick? I also had access to solid lifters on the SBC's, which I know is the proper way to do it, but don't have these anymore. Can I use hydraulics and just 'bottom out' the plungers? If not, that's fine. I just want to make sure I do it right to get an accurate measurement.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, please let me know. Thanks!
~Dave

What valve lift do you plan to use?

Unless you have a cam with outrageous lift, like valve lift close to .700", there should not be a problem with valve clearance? We run with .680" lift on many engine builds, and more on a few. :)

As you know, when doing the check, you would use a special, light valve spring.

Nick, thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to list the cam specs in the OP:

Using 1.65 rockers, valve lift is 0.5511(I)/0.5643(E). Hopefully that will be OK, because I'm currently SOL regarding special springs and the ability to change them...