Piston Ring Seating

slo-joe55

I not sure if this has been asked before, but here it goes. A group of GN owners were discussing the proper way to seal/seat the piston rings in a new motor. Some were of the thought of 500 miles would be best, others suggested to put the rings under boost as soon as possible. Just looking for some feed back on this.

I run a new engine at 1800-2000rpm for about 18-20 minutes checking for leaks and noise. Let it cool down and then drain the oil and pull the filter. Cut filter apart and inspect for debris. Add oil and new filter and start it up and vary the rpm until it warms up. Then put the car in gear and slowly bring the boost up to 4-5_psi against the converter, then HAMMER the throttle and let it eat!! Hand the keys to the owner and tell them to take it to the track and run it. Installed on Sunday, raced on Wednesday. If anyone disagrees with this................their machining/assembly skills are questionable. The only parts that touch in an engine is the rings to cylinder wall. Every other part has a layer of oil between them. (If machined/assembled correctly).

I am a little different.

Fresh engine with flat tappet cam I start and run at roughly 2000 rpm for 20 minutes to break in the cam / lifters.

For a roller cam I start the engine and run it from idle to 2000 rpm easy until the engine is warm.

I then let the engine cool down. Verify there are no leaks or issues.

Check all fluids, drive the car for 500 miles at varying rpm and put some boost into it. I usually try to keep it no more than 10 psi.

I then change oil, cut open the filter and inspect.

If all checks out, fresh oil change take it out and drop the hammer on it.

going on 20 years and this process has never failed me yet.