piston advice

lp2

badass mofo
piston advice (more info)

Hey guys, yet another question. I had to 30 over my block, and want some opinions on pistons. I see a lot of arguments between what is best, and I'm looking for some opinions.

They will be going into my 85 wh1, and price is an issue, I'm a poor university student with increasing tuition next year. :(

Thanks in advance guys.

i have sterling hypos in my 85 motor and tryed to blow the heads off it...it detinated so much i unhooked the knock sensor cause i got tired of it bucking and i could not kill them you could here it pinging bad when i run someone since it echoed off their car..

i would say you would be fine with them..

if you want good prices on everything call up northern auto parts and price check them i bet they will be hard to beat.

1-800-831-0884

part # will be H521NP 30

I'm confused, it seems you are saying the pistons you discribed casued your motor to knock a lot? Then you say they are a good choice? when you daid you tried to blow the heads off it (put lots of boost to it?) I'm not trying to pick any fights, I'm very interested in the same question as Ip2, and didn't understand your post red.
thanks

other words i tried to blow it up and they still look new so what others on here say about them not being tough is a crock..:)

93 octane and 20# on a hotair motor is a lil hard on one but it survived.

i recomend them since budget was mentioned ;)

This debate is never ending. I've heard horror stories about the hypereutectics and I've heard they're tough. Personally, I've never seen a broken hyper but I did break a TRW forged piston (I think it was improper clearances). I went with forged JEs $620 for peace of mind this time because I tend to run mine hard all the time.

well it's going into a mild build right now, but who knows for the future right? i *did* see some really cheap cast aluminum ones from canadian hi performance, $250 canadian, but i'm pretty sketchy about that. thanks for the suggestions.

Okay guys, I just fell into some money after selling a different car, so now I can go buy some stuff that I can be sure is good. A local machine shop suggested S&P pistons, but I have a few questions about TRW specifically..

I'm looking at them here: http://www.flatlanderracing.com/trwbuick.html

Basically, what's the difference between the H521NP pistons and the L2481F pistons. All I see is a big price difference and a compression ratio difference. Suggestions? It will be going into a hotair car, with ideas about jury-rigging an intercooler up.

Thanks once more.

Originally posted by lp2

Basically, what's the difference between the H521NP pistons and the L2481F pistons. All I see is a big price difference and a compression ratio difference. Suggestions? It will be going into a hotair car, with ideas about jury-rigging an intercooler up.

Thanks once more.

The difference is that the H521NP pistons are the hypers and the L2481F pistons are the TRW forged...IMO, I would go with the TRW forged...

I'm not even sure that S&P makes forged pistons for our motors...If you have even more money than what the TRW forged cost, then I would go with the J&E's...

But that's just me...forged=peace of mind...I've heard too many stories of hyper's breaking(especially in SY/TY's)...and don't the old 5.0's run hypers from the factory???

Well, that decides it, no 5.0 parts in my engine. Thanks for that tip, I guess the webpage just confused me.

heheh...I'm not sure about the 5.0s running hyper's...I thought that I heard they did...Ford did make some good crossover parts to us...Like the Bluetop injs...

I do know the SY/TY's had them, though...

But if you could afford them, go J&E forged...for the peace of mind...

Did a little bit more research, turns out the guy just couldn't write very well, it's supposed to read SP (meaning sealed power) as opposed to S&P. The part# is identical, and it turns out federal mogul owns both companies. I heard that the pistons are pretty much identical.

So if anyone has anything more to say, speak now, before I go buy them. :)

Thanks once more guys, this place really is great for these questions.

Pistons

Well man I got some bad news. Pretty much all the stores that sold forged pistons for our cars have a huge back order, And it has been 2 months and I still havent got my trws . I had trws before and I like them. All I have to say its a long wait for forged pistons.

Allan

Well that I really didn't want to hear, hopefully up here in Canada there is a better supply, although I don't think so. The machine shop seemed to think that they could get those sealed power ones asap, I will give them a ring and see what I can see.

Try Ramchargers for the TRW/SpeedPro forged...I got my last set through them when everyone else was out...

TRW no longer makes forged pistons for the 3.8L. I've heard they might start again at a later time. Probe is going to try and take over the void left by TRW.