Pinks All Out in Arizona, Nov 19-20th 2010

I just finished checking over the engine. Changing the oil, cutting open filters. All looks normal.
I pulled the plugs expecting to see something interesting after the lean surging from over the weekend. The plugs look normal. :confused: :confused:

This engine is possessed!!! It's as if it's urging me,

"Sucker, forget about the rings and the blowby. Just drain the frickin catch tank after every run, bring extra oil to top off the oil reservoir, and THROW MORE FUEL AND BOOST AT ME!!! I'll take you for the ride of your life!" :cool:

:eek:

I just finished checking over the engine. Changing the oil, cutting open filters. All looks normal.
I pulled the plugs expecting to see something interesting after the lean surging from over the weekend. The plugs look normal. :confused: :confused:

"Sucker, forget about the rings and the blowby. Just drain the frickin catch tank after every run, bring extra oil to top off the oil reservoir, and THROW MORE FUEL AND BOOST AT ME!!! I'll take you for the ride of your life!" :cool:

Get the fuel issue solved.... and pour the fuel and boost to it.... I see 8.50's in the near future when you get that and the 4 bar MAP going...... on second thought..... maybe you need to go straight to the 5 bar :eek:.

I am in awe of the HP your 224 cu in motor is making......... some of the TSO boys are north of 40 psi....... do you think yours can do 40?

So, does that mean you are skipping the refresh and loading up the trailer for AZ again this weekend? :biggrin:

So, does that mean you are skipping the refresh and loading up the trailer for AZ again this weekend? :biggrin:
Well, I'm not going to push my luck. I think I'm OK for 1/8 mile until I can freshen the motor and add a more appropriate fuel supply system.

Get the fuel issue solved.... and pour the fuel and boost to it.... I see 8.50's in the near future when you get that and the 4 bar MAP going...... on second thought..... maybe you need to go straight to the 5 bar :eek:.

I am in awe of the HP your 224 cu in motor is making......... some of the TSO boys are north of 40 psi....... do you think yours can do 40?
This latest engine build and static CR setting has always been capable of running up to 40-45 psi boost. The FI91X is capable of supplying 65 psi boost.
I'm guessing that the flat line map reading on the 3 bar map sensor was telling me I was at 32-33 psi over the weekend.

Electromotive recently upgraded the firmware and now offers resolution that will handle up to 7 bars if you can find a 7 bar map sensor. SEVEN FRICKEN BARS!!!
I don't plan on ever running over 45 psi, so a 4 bar map sensor will do just fine. :cool:

I'm thinking that if I plan on pushing the car further, I will have to change from the 3.73 gearset to a 3.42 or 3.55. Over the weekend, the engine was over 7,800 rpm at the finish line.

Well, I'm not going to push my luck. I think I'm OK for 1/8 mile until I can freshen the motor and add a more appropriate fuel supply system.

I forget, what are you running now, and what are you upgrading to?

I forget, what are you running now, and what are you upgrading to?
I'm running a large 2345-A Weldon electric pump with a voltage booster. Most likely, I'll be adding a mechanical pump. Although, I've just been checking the Weldon site, and they now have an even larger electric pump!!! Hmmm. Simple bolt in HP??!!! COOOOL!!!
Nevermind. Low pressure application. Looks like it's going to be a mechanical pump.

I'm running a large 2345-A Weldon electric pump with a voltage booster. Most likely, I'll be adding a mechanical pump. Although, I've just been checking the Weldon site, and they now have an even larger electric pump!!! Hmmm. Simple bolt in HP??!!! COOOOL!!!
Nevermind. Low pressure application. Looks like it's going to be a mechanical pump.

I am not sure if this is an option, or would help you since you already have the booster, but a buddy of mine with a single turbo BBC at about 1,900 hp converted to 16 volt battery and alt, and it solved the issue. Helped drive all the electronics more consistently, and helped drive the fuel pump to a correct level.

Weldon says: Maximum Horsepower
2000 hp @ 14 VDC EFI (1000 hp on Methanol)
2400 hp @ 16.5 VDC EFI (1200 hp on Methanol)

But, since you have such an abundance of room in the front of your motor, a belt driven fuel pump may work better. :biggrin:

Waterman or Aeromotive mech pump and don't ever look back... Congrats btw, I was close on et prediction:)

I am not sure if this is an option, or would help you since you already have the booster, but a buddy of mine with a single turbo BBC at about 1,900 hp converted to 16 volt battery and alt, and it solved the issue. Helped drive all the electronics more consistently, and helped drive the fuel pump to a correct level.

Weldon says: Maximum Horsepower
2000 hp @ 14 VDC EFI (1000 hp on Methanol)
2400 hp @ 16.5 VDC EFI (1200 hp on Methanol)

But, since you have such an abundance of room in the front of your motor, a belt driven fuel pump may work better. :biggrin:
I am already running a voltage booster to the fuel pump. It boosts the voltage up to 50% and I have the setting maxed out. One of the other reasons I believe the engine is pumping out close to 1200 Bhp.

Waterman or Aeromotive mech pump and don't ever look back... Congrats btw, I was close on et prediction:)
Thanks, Scott.
If it wasn't for the mixture leaning on the top end, you would have been even closer with your prediction.

I've been looking at the new Kinsler Tough Pump. I've always had good results with anything I've gotten from them in the past.

Good call on Kinsler if it's rated for boosted apps. A 5 bar pressure transducer will also be much cheaper than trying to source a 4 bar. I know you're more interested in map resolution(4bar) but if you decide on a 5 bar look into FJO.

Good call on Kinsler if it's rated for boosted apps. A 5 bar pressure transducer will also be much cheaper than trying to source a 4 bar. I know you're more interested in map resolution(4bar) but if you decide on a 5 bar look into FJO.

Thanks for the tip!

I am already running a voltage booster to the fuel pump. It boosts the voltage up to 50% and I have the setting maxed out. One of the other reasons I believe the engine is pumping out close to 1200 Bhp.

Ooh, never mind then. So, is the manual pump in addition to the electric, or stand alone? I would assume stand alone. You going to have enough room to figure out mounting for that thing? If anyone can, it's you. :biggrin:

Rear mount, cable driven.

Was looking at the super pump, don't understand how it's cable driven, but the site doesn't have it in crayon for me to get... :redface: :biggrin: Looks like a pretty serious setup for sure.

I think at my future level the Weldon would be fine, no need for something like this!

Initial plans are to run the e-injectors off of the electric fuel pump and the mechanical nozzles off of a mechanical pump. The mechanical nozzles will be phased in as they always have been. The electronic and mechanical systems will be separate and will be free to use their own unique fuel supply pressure curves.
A second electric fuel pump will feed a surge fuel tank in the engine bay or in front of the radiator support. The size will be either 1 gallon or 1.5 gallons. The surge tank will feed the mechanical pump. The mech pump will be mounted where the evac pump is presently mounted and will be cog belt driven. The evac pump will be driven by cable. I haven't decided which accessory will drive the evac pump via cable.
Or, I may be switching to an electric evac pump, which would be the easiest solution for that. After all, I'm only using the evac pump to supply crankcase ventilation.