Pinion snubber

Hard to say but I will say this go after the easiest stuff first. I personally would remove diff cover and inspect its easy and probably needs new oil anyway

Yup. I'm gonna plug away at all these little things until I stumble across it. Hopefully it's something small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get busy Julian, all good ideas. I drove the frame off GN I did last winter it has all poly mounts and bushings in the rear. No vibrations at heavy throttle or high speeds. I keep rubber bushings in the front arms and rubber engine/trans mount. IIRC your trans mount is in good shape.

Last edited:
Get busy Julian, all good ideas. I drove the frame off GN I did last winter it has all poly mounts and bushings in the rear. No vibrations at heavy throttle or high speeds. I kept rubber bushings in the front arms and rubber engine/trans mount. IIRC your trans mount is in good shape.

Ok. Swapping out drums and changing differential fluid. Anything abnormal here?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450992423.836049.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450992506.262502.jpg

Didn't notice any speckles in the fluid and the magnet didn't look excessive. Guess everything is normal?

Got it. I'll button this up and test it out when it's dry. Something tells me it's not over though, but I'll save that till after the holiday. Thanks for the input and merry Christmas, everyone!

Got it. I'll button this up and test it out when it's dry. Something tells me it's not over though, but I'll save that till after the holiday. Thanks for the input and merry Christmas, everyone!

Yep looks pretty good, as Steve V said use posi additive I personally use the oe ford stuff as its what I use in all my rebuilds and I do quite a few,its the best stuff out since they quite allowing the use of sperm whale oil. By the way DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC just regular rear end juice in posi. Merry Christmas.

Ok. Swapping out drums and changing differential fluid. Anything abnormal here?

Yes, wrong cover gasket. Note the two holes in the punkin to the left & right of the bearing caps. There should be holes in the cover gasket to match. This allows oil to run into the tubes to lube the axle bearings.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yes, wrong cover gasket. Note the two holes in the punkin to the left & right of the bearing caps. There should be holes in the cover gasket to match. This allows oil to run into the tubes to lube the axle bearings.

RemoveBeforeFlight

That's sad to know. This is the first time I've opened it up. Here's the new gasket I picked up
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451148963.433415.jpg

That's sad to know. This is the first time I've opened it up. Here's the new gasket I picked upView attachment 269786

Not that big of a deal I personally don't use gaskets on any of the rear ends I build I use permatex ultra black silicon,works great and don't have to worry about getting wrong gasket or waiting on them to deliver to my shop. Just clean both surfaces with a scraper, housing and diff. cover, and run a bead around cover and install. Don't need to go overboard on silicon just about 1/4 inch bead and run it around bolt holes.

Actually after looking at gasket those two slots are what RmvBfrFlght was talking about that probably is the right gasket,just set it on housing and see if slots line up to the two holes that aren't bolt holes[3 oclock and 9 oclock] if they do your good.Just make sure you clean that surface good especially if using a gasket

Sounds good. I'll make sure everything lines up when I go to put it back together. Supposed to be nice tomorrow.

Sounds good, report back.By the way you didn't happen to pull driveshaft out and try to move pinion gear in and out to see if it has too much play did you,might do this before putting it back togother. These diffs. have a crush sleeve in them and over time the thing will get more crush than they should have from suspension loading and unloading rear end, then the pinion bearings will have too much end play or not enough preload.Just grab the pinion flange where u joint sits and try to move in and out, if you don't have any movement your good to go,put everything back togother and go have fun.