Pinion Gear Pattern

I finally finished last night at around 12, and here is what pattern that i got.

Picture 1: Drive Side
Picture 2: Coast Side

I think its right on the money on thw drive side, and coast side is ok.....what are your thoughts?
Oh yah. Looks ready to rock and roll. Good job!

Thanks! Hopefully I will get it finished up for weekend and take a victory spin with no issues. Thanks to both of you for the advice.

Besure to report back with results. Curious if the gear set will remain quiet. Had a conversation with the guys at work over this and we are taught only to change the pattern on a new gear set when setting it up. If the pinion depth changes when just changing bearings there's an issue with bearings. If you are changing the carrier of course the backlash will need to be reset but using the same gear set the pinion shim should not need to be changed. A seasoned gear set you have to pay attention to the coast side vs the drive side as there's less wear to deceive you.

Last edited:
Besure to report back with results. Curious if the gear set will remain quiet. Had a conversation with the guys at work over this and we are taught only the change pattern on a new gear set when setting it up. If the pinion depth changes when just changing bearings there's an issue with bearings. If you are changing the carrier of course the backlash will need to be rest but using the same gear set the pinion shim should need to be changed. A seasoned gear set you have to pay attention to the coast side vs the drive side as there's less wear to deceive you.

I read in alot of places that the coast side should be used for the pattern if the drive side pattern is too hard to make out, but i was hoping to just reuse the stock shim and the same pattern as before . Well, i did keep the stock shim just in case, but hopefully i wont have to tear this thing back down again. I will report back my results when i get the car down, currently i am doing some brake upgrades and should have my bleeder in by Monday. I will have it down next week , and will report back my findings.

while youre reading read up on pinion preload ..fyi its not 25lft lb as you said " I rechecked the preload and i was at exactly 25ft lbs" , that may be the torque on the pinion nut when using the ratech solid sleeve but you need to have the preload correct
to verify pinion preload you need to check the rotation drag on the pinion ..which should only be about 12 in lb
by using the ratech setup once you chose the height (usually based off matching the old crush sleeve providing preload was correct before teardown) and assemble the preload has become fixed ..,you could torque the pinion nut to 100lb ft and it still wouldnt change the preload .. thats whats nice about the sleeve setup but if you have the shim height on that sleeve incorrect and seeing as how you dropped the thickness of the shim behind the pinion bearing you would have had to compensate for the change at the ratech sleeve .. if you removed .010 you would need to add .010 to the ratech or you wont have the same preload...bottom line it needs to be checked

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I still don't have an answer......i still haven't been able to take the car off the lift and get it on the ground ever since my last post. I did a wilwood big brake kit front and rear kit in parallel with the reared work, and I found out that my stock wheels wouldn't fit due the larger calipers. I Winded up ordering a new set of wheels 2 days later......they said my CCWs are supposed to be delivered in 5 weeks (as of a little more than 3 wks ago) . They should be here next week or the week after......BELIEVE me, I am dying to find out the results as well. I definitely haven't forgot to report back

I just got my wheels in last week and was able to get the car on the ground for the 1st time since January. I took it out on a test drive and I will say that the rearend is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!. I am so happy with it,there is no rearend noise, whine, or issues going on. It's very quiet. Honestly I thought I was going to have some type of issue, especially since this is my first time doing a rearend. I am glad I went back and redid the pattern the last time after the advice you guys gave me. Thanks for replying and giving me feedback,guys!

I just got my wheels in last week and was able to get the car on the ground for the 1st time since January. I took it out on a test drive and I will say that the rearend is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!. I am so happy with it,there is no rearend noise, whine, or issues going on. It's very quiet. Honestly I thought I was going to have some type of issue, especially since this is my first time doing a rearend. I am glad I went back and redid the pattern the last time after the advice you guys gave me. Thanks for replying and giving me feedback,guys!

This is a prime example of hard work and dedication paying off !!

Congratulations on a job well done,it is very satisfying when
you realize the rewards after the effort went in.