Pics of my roller rockers

89ICBM

Howdy Hombres!

Just thought I'd show off my rocker set up.

Attachments

• MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 611
  • MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 608
Hey Frank, what brand rockers are those? Did you use beehive springs?

Jan put on your glasses ... :p So Frank when is it goin to be done ??? hey my Stage 2 TTA is DONE !!!!! startin to piece it out when the header guy is done with it :eek: :biggrin:

Jan Larsson said:

Howdy Jan!

They're Crane rockers. I'd have to look on the box to get the part # but, I can tell you they are designed for Ford SVO motors. They are the exact geometry as our stock rockers. I ordered them direct from Crane.

The springs are (Comp Cam H11's # 941) that's why I have the roller cam in. These springs have 370 ft lbs open pressure, way to much for a flat tapit cam. I know! I learned the hard way. I'll post another thread with a picture of a blown head gasket.

Grumpy said:
Jan put on your glasses ... :p So Frank when is it goin to be done ??? hey my Stage 2 TTA is DONE !!!!! startin to piece it out when the header guy is done with it :eek: :biggrin:

Que Pasa Grumpster?

It's been runnin since last July.

wellllll...whats it run ?? :p

Well! Since you most know! A very embarrassing 12.9 @ 109, 60ft was 2.2. I got to get some drag radials. I had the Firestone Firehawks on and I spun the tires all the way thru the 1/8, boost was 16 lbs.:( I don't know if it hurt very much but I forgot and left it in overdrive also.

wellllll...whats it run ?? :p

Well! Since you most know! A very embarrassing 12.9 @ 109, 60ft was 2.2. I got to get some drag radials. I had the Firestone Firehawks on and I spun the tires all the way thru the 1/8, boost was 16 lbs.:( I don't know if it hurt very much but I forgot and left it in overdrive also.

hey ya just have to race it more .. hell I forget week to week :p car will come around I am sure :cool:

Jan Larsson said:

Howdy Jan!

They're Crane rockers. I'd have to look on the box to get the part # but, I can tell you they are designed for Ford SVO motors. They are the exact geometry as our stock rockers. I ordered them direct from Crane.

The springs are (Comp Cam H11's # 941) that's why I have the roller cam in. These springs have 370 ft lbs open pressure, way to much for a flat tapit cam. I know! I learned the hard way. I'll post another thread with a picture of a blown head gasket.

Thanks Frank, I got a complete set of Harland Sharp rollers sitting here along with Coms roller lifters, roller cam and beehive springs I will put in mine when I get the block and stuff back from the machine shop. Lots of $$ but should be a good setup.

Thanks Frank, I got a complete set of Harland Sharp rollers sitting here along with Coms roller lifters, roller cam and beehive springs I will put in mine when I get the block and stuff back from the machine shop. Lots of $$ but should be a good setup.

Hey Jan!

I said I would get back to you with the part # for the rockers so here it is: Cranecams 36750-16. These are high quility racing rockers, just a heads up here: DO'NT FORGET THE LASH CAPS AND PUSH ROD GUIDES. Good luck my friend!

Hey Jan!

I said I would get back to you with the part # for the rockers so here it is: Cranecams 36750-16. These are high quility racing rockers, just a heads up here: DO'NT FORGET THE LASH CAPS AND PUSH ROD GUIDES. Good luck my friend!

Thx Frank, learning here but what are the lash caps and push rod guides any photos where I can see them installed?

Thx Frank, learning here but what are the lash caps and push rod guides any photos where I can see them installed?

Jan,

The lash caps are in the second pic, they are underneath the roller on the rocker. They're just a small cap that fit over the valve stem. I'm not fimiliar with bee hive springs so I don't know what their pressures are but I can tell you the roller cam I have has a recommended sring open pressure of 350 #'s. You need to find out what your cam requires and what your srings are. The push rod guides are used to hold the push rod in place. Roller rockers sit higher so there is more push rod exposed this can allow the rod to become unstable and come out from underneath the rocker, the guides prevent this. I'll check for a pic here, if I don't have one here I probably have one at work,

Thanks Frank, I got a complete set of Harland Sharp rollers sitting here...

Jan, just so you know the Harland Sharp roller rockers are set up so they dont require lash caps or guide plates(in case you were wondering if you needed them).

HTH,
Steve

Jan, just so you know the Harland Sharp roller rockers are set up so they dont require lash caps or guide plates(in case you were wondering if you needed them).

HTH,
Steve

Thanks Steve, got nervous I was missing something but then I'm all set.

Thanks Frank for the explanation, did learn something (again).

Beerman Franks' Roller Rockers

Good show, Frankie Boy. We'll be getting together to do mine someday !

I'm now thinking of a TA Alum block and wondering how if it's OK to bolt Iron Heads to an Aluminum Block ?

HTH,
Steve

Howdy Steve & Jan!

I'm not fimiliar with Harland Sharp rockers but, I would figure they are designed for the stock cam. Jan! I thought I read that you are goin back with a roller cam? If this is the case, 1. your valve train geometry will be completely different than stock. If you have a higher lift cam than stock the push rods will be longer. Why? To achieve the higher lift, the base circle of the cam lobe is smaller (hence, longer push rod). You set yer preload on the lifter at the bottom of the lobe (where the metal is removed to allow for the higher lift).Therefore, the rocker sets in a higher position. 2. As I stated earlier, the roller cam needs more spring pressure at valve open. This is a recommended 350 pounds. Now, if you are goin to run stainless steel valves, the stem will not hold up under these pressures. You will wear a pretty little grove about 3/32" wide right in the center of the valve stem, (assuming you've got the geometry correct) now yer roller rockers are null and void and yer preload has gone away so you got a major problem. I'm not tryin to bad mouth the Harland Sharp rockers, I'm just sayin for a few bucks, you can buy valuable ins.. Look, the push rods are longer, they may or may not stay under the rocker, why take the chance? If I can be of any help just let me know!

Good show, Frankie Boy. We'll be getting together to do mine someday !

I'm now thinking of a TA Alum block and wondering how if it's OK to bolt Iron Heads to an Aluminum Block ?

Hey you ole coot!

You still tryin to be a girl scout troop leader?
Good to see you here! Say! What was it really like crossing the Atlantic with Columbus?:D

I'm not fimiliar with Harland Sharp rockers but, I would figure they are designed for the stock cam.

Frank,
I worked with Randy at Harland Sharp to develop these rockers. They are designed to be stock replacement with minimal modifications. I sent him a TTA head and some rocker arms for him to work with, then ran them on my GTA for over a year, with a 214/210 billet roller and K motion K-750 springs, before posting them on this board. The Harland Sharp rockers require about a .150" shorter pushrod(than if running stock rockers), removal of the baffle in the drivers side valve cover, and machining the stock hold down bolts(by either sending them in to Harland Sharp or by machining to their specs). Here's a few pictures:

Installed on my GTA:
DSC00898.jpg

All the parts that make up a pair of rockers including a modified bolt:
DSC00880.jpg

Package as delivered from Harland Sharp:
DSC00894.jpg

Your setup looks very nice Frank and I was not trying to knock it in any way, I was just letting Jan know that he doesnt need those items(guideplates and lash caps)for the Harland Sharp setup.

Steve

I'm using the Harland Sharpe rockers on my stage II build. Meaning 4.1 off-center with TTA heads. Were using the GN1 valves which are .100 longer than stock valve which gave me a wider variety of spring choices. Valves were machined to size by Champion. Spring pressure will be around 145 pounds on the seat and around 385 when open. Planning on making her see 7000 rpms. We have all ready did the mock-up on rockers and valves and the geometry was fine with no spacers under 1.6 harland rockers. I,m using a comp cam 218 218 custom roller cam from Dan Strezo. There is absolutely nothing cheap or wrong with these rockers when used in combination with a roller cam set-up. Thanks TTA 850 for your effort with these rockers and the other thing your doing as we speak.

Thanks Michael

Frank,
I worked with Randy at Harland Sharp to develop these rockers. They are designed to be stock replacement with minimal modifications. I sent him a TTA head and some rocker arms for him to work with, then ran them on my GTA for over a year, with a 214/210 billet roller and K motion K-750 springs, before posting them on this board. The Harland Sharp rockers require about a .150" shorter pushrod(than if running stock rockers), removal of the baffle in the drivers side valve cover, and machining the stock hold down bolts(by either sending them in to Harland Sharp or by machining to their specs). Here's a few pictures:

Installed on my GTA:
DSC00898.jpg

All the parts that make up a pair of rockers including a modified bolt:
DSC00880.jpg

Package as delivered from Harland Sharp:
DSC00894.jpg

Your setup looks very nice Frank and I was not trying to knock it in any way, I was just letting Jan know that he doesnt need those items(guideplates and lash caps)for the Harland Sharp setup.

Steve

I will be running a Comp Cam Xtreme 206/210 with Comps roller lifters and beehive springs, this was bought as a package from Full Throttle and can be run with or without roller rockers I was told. So the Harland Sharp roller setup will work fine with this I expect like Steve says above. I will use the stock valves etc.