Picked up an '04 GTP... couple questions

mikes86ttop

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Hey guys just picked up an 04 Pontiac gtp on the cheap, it needs a few things such as,
Motor mounts
Tie rod end
Tune up plugs/wires s/c oil general maintenance etc..

Mainly wondering what kind of wires and plugs are best for a daily driver, also what other specific things to take a look at, it's an awesome car otherwise, I drove it home 25 mi, pulls good seemed to have a slight skip/ hesitation maybe? I noticed it at about 2500rpm then it cleared up, that was the only time I gave it any pedal,other than that just chugging along it doesn't hesitate one bit, I bought it from a coworker who bought it new, and meticulously maintained it up to a couple years ago as it was his backup car and it got driven once or twice a week it's going to be a daily so I do plan on doing some sort of air intake, and possibly some other light mods anyway thanks in advance for any suggestions and info....thanks Mike

Trying to post a couple pics but, again getting that damn error, I'm thinking it's on my end?!?!

I had mine bone stock and used regular autoparts junk and no problems.
I had an 2001 and loved it. Sandy killed mine.
One thing i did change was the intake manifold gasket. Apparently it was eaten away by the dex-cool OE coolant. Besides that it was a love/love affair. OH it is a thirsty car with a small fuel tank -- but gas is cheap now so who cares.

I always used Autolite 104s in 3 different W bodies
I used the GM wires as replacements as the were inexpensive in in the mid 2000s
('01 GS L67, '99 GP GT L36, and a 1991 Lumina 3.1)

The hesitation might be the trans fluid ... did it happen on any kind of incline?

A quick inexpensive mod is dremel out the air box and drop a K&N in (be careful the ECM packet is integrated into the air box). (I'll see if I can find pics)

A short wire from the alternator to the fuse box was an effective cheapo mod too.
http://www.wbodystore.com/harnesses-adapters/25-w-body-store-alternator-rewire-kit.html

Wbodystore.com / 3800performance.com / PFYC.com / ZZperformance.com - are good placed to get stuff.

ClubGP.com and RegalGS.org are a wealth of knowledge too. TB.com member WildGS - Dave is a 3800 guy and I still retain some tricks too, so ask away!

No no incline, it was on an on ramp to the high way level, slight downhill.. I was already pondering the idea of just going gm Delphi wires and hopefully be done with it, but yes any free mods tips/tricks are welcomed thanks Mike

Installed new plugs and wires, Also a couple dry rotted vacuum lines.. pulls great now with no hesitation/skip. This week I'll try to grab some upper motor mounts and get her registered and insured... Mike

Thanks D, It is a clean ride, and by the time I'm done with the odds and ends it needs I'll still be well under $1k bucks .. it's in a lot better shape than my 4runner is...Mike

Even if its barely gonna see the track and be a 'daily'...I'm gonna suggest u get rid of that U-bend lurking under the car. Will free up some ponies and maybe even help some MPG. ZZP says the stock wires are often better than most aftermarket wires, so you're good there. Not to mention ZZP has a tech articles section you'd be happy to read, including "mods you dont need" might save your money and Sanity =3. GL and keep the Shiny side Up!

I've heard lots of talk about this u bend delete, so I crawled under the car to check it out, and that is no doubt a choke point, what was gm 's intentions on that design? Also I've been reading up on zzp's site,, lots of cool stuff between products and tech...Thanks Mike

I've heard lots of talk about this u bend delete, so I crawled under the car to check it out, and that is no doubt a choke point, what was gm 's intentions on that design? Also I've been reading up on zzp's site,, lots of cool stuff between products and tech...Thanks Mike

The Ubend delete is for sure worth the time, but if your going to keep the car very long and plan any future mods Headers are a must! They are a pain but so worth it in the long run, cat delet and an 02 emulator or tune and your good for lots of fun stuff. I happen to have a set id sell very cheap, I been way to lazy to post the stuff up for sale and cant even remember my username or password over at the grand prix/3800 site. LOL have fun

The Ubend delete is for sure worth the time, but if your going to keep the car very long and plan any future mods Headers are a must! They are a pain but so worth it in the long run, cat delet and an 02 emulator or tune and your good for lots of fun stuff. I happen to have a set id sell very cheap, I been way to lazy to post the stuff up for sale and cant even remember my username or password over at the grand prix/3800 site. LOL have fun
Send me a pm on what you have, I might be interested...thanks Mike