Pick apart my engine bay!!!

You've got some work ahead of you, thats for sure. Is anything else coming apart?

Apart???

I'm hoping for back together....I bought this car engine out for $1K with 64,000 original miles and i'm hoping for back together on the cheap...so far another $1K spent on cam / heads / valvetrain / gaskets and stuff.

What color are you painting it? To be PC the firewall is painted the same color as the car. The factory didn't use a clear coat back than so the paint should have a semi gloss sheen to it. Other than that it looks really great.

Thanks

Don't know what color i'm painting the car yet so SG black was my choice to match whatever color I might choose. Not trying to build a colectors item either...just a budget toy for now. Heat / AC will stay out for playing space for future mods and a much straighter custom downpipe.

I'm just being picky here, but it looks like the standards you've put to the front end is a bit differant than the attention to details your applying to your engine. You've done a terrific job restoring the front end. If it where me, I'd go ahead and take your engine apart a bit further and do some more cleaning up while you've got easy access to everything. Maybe just some minor attention to details here and there, looks like you've got some corrosion on your pulleys. I'd recomend replacing the turbo oil line while you've got it that far apart. and getting a adapter so you can go with the bigger oil filter

I'm just being picky here, but it looks like the standards you've put to the front end is a bit differant than the attention to details your applying to your engine. You've done a terrific job restoring the front end. If it where me, I'd go ahead and take your engine apart a bit further and do some more cleaning up while you've got easy access to everything. Maybe just some minor attention to details here and there, looks like you've got some corrosion on your pulleys. I'd recomend replacing the turbo oil line while you've got it that far apart. and getting a adapter so you can go with the bigger oil filter

No you're right deffinatly different standards being applied. The chassis is a keeper the motor is a keeper for now. The previous owner painted the block black...(crap job and its all peeling anyway, and he picked the color for the valve covers / water pump / goose neck) don't know if the motors a keeper but it was important for me to get the car running with what I have to provide motovation to take it further, and use this powertrain as a learning experience, i've never taken the motor out of a car never mind rebuilding heads and all i've done so far. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

Jeff

Did you remove all the fron end suspension components to get it to look that nice?? Or did you paint right over all of it?

All components were removed...the thing that took the longest was the degreasing someone drove this car for what appears to be 30K with a leaking rear main seal. The fist coat was black POR15 with a POR15 chassis coat black top coat. Inner fenders and radiator support were sanded down and sprayed SG black.

You did a fantastic job, gonna do something similiar to my Monte SS once it gets a little warm. That POR is great stuff.. I like the satin though, a little more factory looking.. NICE JOB!

Did I screw anything major up????
Yeah the valve covers are the wrong color :D :p
Seriously though, this may already be common knowledge but just wanted to mention that oven cleaner works great on cleaning the frame if any one was thinking of making it look nice.

I couldn't see any detail of your firewall in those pics. It looks dull or flat black from what I can see. All of the 1986 and older G-bodies have just the base coat painted on the firewall. The 87's did get a clear coat from what I can tell after looking over the GNX's. I've parted out so many of them so I can say from personal experience. Like all paint if you rub on it you can get it to shine. If you still have a number chalked onto the firewall than it is still the original paint. No number than somebody painted over it which makes this discussion a moot point I guess.

In 1984 GM painted the door jambs and engine bays by man power. The robots didn't do it till later in 85. As far as my car not having the chalk on it, I'm certain a detailer removed that when they did the whole car, including suspension. None of my cars have the original QA marks anymore.

We can agree to disagree or you can be captain know it all. Either way I'm not going to argue the point any further as my ego doesn't care, I rarely post on here and I'm not trying to impress anybody by posting regurgitated information 20x a day.

Time to crawl back under my rock.