performance shift switch rumor....

SITHV6

Move against the Jedi 1st
Well, after getting my 04 CTS totalled i opted for a different daily driver to take the stress off the T-Type of commuting aaaaaand got my paws on an 03 Regal GS :cool: unmolested and bone stock. Rumor has it that the little performance shift switch button on the shifter was removed as of 2000 and was now programmed into the computer once u mash the pedal to the floor.... is this true? if not where can i get the shift switch kit i'm hearing about? ZZperf? TIA

Yes, that is true. I have owned a 98, an 02, and currently daily drive a 99. The 98 & 99 both had it, while the 02 didnt. When you gave the 02 some good throttle, the shifts would firm up a bit. Its the same on my fathers 04 impala ss with the supercharged 3.8. I personally drive with the perf shift on all of the time, Im sure someone sells a kit that will allow you to manually switch it on/off.

I also prefer to always have perf shift on but I hate the light on the dash so my older gs's with the switch I just copy & paste the perf shift table over to normal so its always performance shift - my wife doesnt say why do you always have to turn that on anymore either ;)

if you must have the switch I am positive one of the gs's I am currently parting has the knob w/switch still and I would sell it for $20 shipped from there you need to run the wire to a pin on the pcm for it to work I could find out the specifics for you from the last guy I sold one too if thats the route you want to go - since I have a tuner and hate seeing the light I have never done the swap on my 02 gs

Yea, not crazy about the light either....why would they make it orange? Everyone thinks i have a perpetual CEL, haha. Seriously though, good luck on your purchase, you will love the car. Out of all of the cars I own, I think I love my GS more than any of the others. Its just soooo comfortable and smooth, could ride in it all day long. Post some pics of yours if you get a chance.

intresting....

OK So we've established the switch was officially discontinued after 2000:redface: and that the transmission holding onto the gears a little longer when floored WITHOUT a need for a switch is now a natural occurance...:cool: guess i'm just gonna have to practice a little more on my 60fts to figure out why a friends 98 is a lil faster than my 03 lol and theyre both bone stock. As for pictures, i'll try to figure out how to post pics of both the T and the GS. WOULD like to wait til the new black 17's or on the GS tho...think it'll look good with the rivet accents :cool:

guess i'm just gonna have to practice a little more on my 60fts to figure out why a friends 98 is a lil faster than my 03 lol and theyre both bone stock. As for pictures, i'll try to figure out how to post pics of both the T and the GS. WOULD like to wait til the new black 17's or on the GS tho...think it'll look good with the rivet accents :cool:

your 03 has a superior intake tract as well as throttle body ( no metal maf post) besides that there may be minor differences in the tune , do you know how easy it is to pull the drivers headlight at the track to get plenty of air ? its 2 plastic pull clips & 1 connector

I have logged a lot of runs in GS's , my wifes 98 GS ran 14.4@96 for me with only a homemade intake , autolite plugs ,180 t-stat , that is the closest to stock I have run

I am not a big believer in factory freaks , I think you can ensure your car is one of the quicker ones by ensuring the basics are good ( fresh ac delco fuel filter ,ac delco wires ,autolite 104 copper plugs , 180* t-stat , clean or modified air filter/intake ,clean coil terminals , no added weight in car- remove anything it didnt come with from the dealer and more if you want to pull the spare ,jack ,floor mats ,etc... , light fuel load , minimum 93 octane in tank , these cars will knock on stock tune - avoid pulled timing with a splash of unleaded race fuel for more hp)

how heavy are the 17's you are looking to add ? quickest way to slow a car down is to add a couple pounds per wheel - rotating weight is like adding 8-10 the amount in static weight , the lightest w body wheel out there is the pontiac torque stars found on gp's plus lighter wheels are easier on your trans vs. heavier

do you know your 60 foots vs. his and trap speeds for both ? they will tell the story of if you need to tighten your 60's or if he is making more power via higher trap

I curious about your 14.4 in the 98 GS. Was that thru the stock exhaust? What altitude and what was your 60 ft?

I curious about your 14.4 in the 98 GS. Was that thru the stock exhaust? What altitude and what was your 60 ft?

yes 100% stock exhaust from manis to muffler ,stock pulley ,stock tune , heavy stock chrome 9 spokes , 3/4 tank of fuel ( I didnt plan to go that night with it - wife had plans :biggrin:)

60 foot was a 2.2 new england dragway is just under 100 feet like all the other tracks in new england are

my 02 ran 14.0 @99 on a 3.5 pulley ,powerlog ,homemade intake , pcm 1.0 , autolite plugs ,180* t-stat.

added a stage 1 tb , 3" hogan catback , ported rear mani and some drag radials and ran 13.5 @104 ( that pass linked in my sig) and since sprayed it with a 50 shot to 13.1 @108

I also have a gtp that has run 12.2 @118 with more mods & larger shot of spray - below is a pass against a 2nd gen vette with crate motor , weiand blower, dual quads floating the valves trying not to get beat by the 4 door fwd 6 banger;)

YouTube - GTP Track Pass

planning on mid 11's with a 2000 gs that I am working on now for this year

Think i remember the Tire Rack saying the wheel weighs 23lbs a piece...worse case scenario if i want a serious race night i'll simply buy a cheap set of lightweight steels with nittos drags on them. The rim is wider than the stock 225 tires and i'm already excited about the traction i'll be gaining. my 60s are 2.3's and an average 9.6 at 74.1 in the 1/8 with tires fighting for traction. And yes i pull the headlight out and move the passenger seat forward (aka ZZP tech tips).

Think i remember the Tire Rack saying the wheel weighs 23lbs a piece...).

those are heavy but if you like em and realize the rotating weight penalty its all good

for reference:

stock chrome 9 spokes are 20 a peice , stock 6 spoke aluminum are 18 , gt/gtp painted torque stars are 16 allthough the polished ones are closer to 15.5

if you do get some steelies I would like to know what they weigh without tires