Peculiar Cruise Control Issue

Raeban

Gearhead/Engineer/GN Addict
I'm having an issue with my factory cruise control on my 87 GN. The cruise worked perfectly before I did an engine rebuild where I installed a new Comp 206/206 Hyd Roller cam. I also cleaned up the engine bay and removed the cruise control servo etc as part of that effort.

My issue is that the cruise control activates, turns on the cruise light, and as long as I am on steady flat ground does an OK job trying to maintain speed. It is sluggish when corrections need to be made, but I can see the TPS voltage changing so I know the servo is actuating. If I come to a hill with a gradual incline the car doesn't adjust rapidly enough and will begin to slow down. There is also a delay from when I hit the set button to when the cruise control begins to control that wasn't there before. This delay is a few seconds where TPS voltage does not stay at the cruising voltage but drops to 0.44 (closed) and then works it's way up to close to the cruising voltage for that speed.

I went through all of the factory troubleshooting documents and it basically indicates repair action P for when all the electrical tests pass. When I check the resistance between G100 (Main ground to engine block under turbo) and G121 (Cruise control servo ground on DR fender) I get roughly 1.9 ohms which is higher than the troubleshooting guide recommends of 0.1 ohm max. Even when I run a new wire from the battery to the fender where the cruise control module ground fastens I get 1.4 ohms. The next step in this repair action is simply to install a new cruise module and see if it works.

My other question is does the cruise work on other cars with such a mild cam? My maximum vacuum letting off the throttle is 20" and maintains around 10" cruising down the road. This is on par with my factory cam before the rebuild with only a few less inches of vacuum at cruise. My vacuum system is as tight as can be as I can perform test 6 in the factory troubleshooting guide after the car has sat for a week and it will still stroke the cruise servo to WOT.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    184.5 KB · Views: 63
It's been a long time since I have looked at the cruise control circuit, but the cam should not be the problem. The obvious is the resistance and the vacuum. the quickest would be to swap w/a known good module, if you have access to one.
The grd straps behind the head are tight? Have you tried using a mighty-vac on the vacuum circuit and (I believe there's a) check valve to see if it's operating fully?

I double checked the two ground locations behind the head and ran another ground there from the battery just to be sure. The ground not matching up has me thinking of going through each and every ground on the car and being deliberate while cleaning them. I have not checked the DR side head to firewall ground and this wasn't checked since the engine install so I will go do that for sure.

I didn't use a mighty vac on the vacuum because I knew the vacuum left in the reservoir for a week was enough to actuate the cruise servo to WOT. I did have an idea to limit the vacuum on this circuit to 10" using a hand held vacuum pump and then run test 6 again to see if 10" of vacuum will actuate the servo which I may try this weekend. Past that it looks like I will be getting a "spare" cruise module to see if that works.

Last edited:
See if you can borrow someone's unit just for troubleshooting, in case it turns out to be good.

Well I finally got this problem fixed. I did learn that 5-10" of vacuum is plenty to actuate the servo as I used a handheld vacuum pump and actuated the servo by supplying 12V to the A & E terminals on the servo and grounding terminal C. This allows the vent and vacuum valves in the servo to operate and stroke the cruise servo to WOT.

My issue turned out to the stoplight switch for the cruise at the brake pedal being out of adjustment as far as I can tell. It was a bit weird as the car would pass all the system tests and the vacuum side of the switch would work, but the electrical side was preventing the cruise module from functioning properly. At least my car got a thorough ground cleaning ;)