Passed Smog, just bearly

Chris,

I pulled out my paperwork from when I had my car smogged last time and the limits on mine are actually tighter than yours. I don't know if your car is an '86 but mine is an '87. On my test the MAX HC limits at 15 are 77ppm and only 59ppm at 25. I'll have to check the limits on my '04 GTO for a laugh and see what those are.

Neal

Yeah, if my car was a 87 it would have failed. Sort of funny, same drivetrain/smog equipment but the 87's standards are ~13% tighter.

What fuel pressure regulator are you running? I had a TR fail visual in the past becuase of that. It really depends on how anal the tech is. I've had ones who know what the car is and let little things slide and others who refuse to believe that it is the correct engine.

I am pretty sure our TR's are lumped in with the other N/A regals, which for the most part are not well taken care of. I found a couple examples in the junk yard this weekend. I got a nice-ish rear bumper off one though, not perfect but way better than mine.

Pre 75 cars do not need a bi-annual inspection but you do have to smog it if you sell it. I had a 1972 Mercury with a 460ci motor, when I sold it in 94 I had to smog it. The fun part was even without cats it blew cleaner than the 1985 Honda CRX commuter car I picked up.

I think your right about the engine being classed in with all 3.8's that GM made that year. Or may be its just for the Buicks that ran the 3.8, not 100% sure. But that sounds about right. As for the SMOG of pre-77's, I think you still need to SMOG them to sell them, however, I doubt they have any standards (ie Im pretty sure they wont fail SMOG). I have an adjustable FPR that I set lower during SMOG. I set it according to whatever TT's Emission chip says (38psi I think at idle). Stock plugs, a CAT, correct fuel PSI, stock gap, emission chip and I havent failed the sniffer..... the visual on the other hand, that could fail on so many levels.

The test only program is supposed to be a random sampling of 3% of registered vehicles. There is however a sub catagory called the "high emmitter profile". All '86- '87 Turbo Regals are part of the test only program because they fit the "high emmitter profile". Once upon a time Turbo Regal Limiteds weren't in the program because the VIN is different than the regular Regal. That loophole went away a number of years ago. To the best of my knowledge once your car is in the test only program and considered part of the the "high emmitter profile" it will always be in the program.

Neal