parts needed for thermostat change?

pascuab

Went into my auto parts store to pick up a 180 thermostat and a housing today, the guy also asked me if i needed a thermostat gasket. From the tutorials and searching i did on here and other sites, it doesn't look like there is a gasket in there other than the o-ring on the housing. can anyone confirm this and let me know if there are any othe parts that i need?

thanks

No gasket required, only thermostat. Might want to grab a new "O" ring which seals the thermostat / rad hose housing. If you've never changed it before.....you might consider having a replacement housing as you will most likely destroy yours getting it off, if it is the original tin /metal unit. There are cast units or billet, either one works well....just might wanna have these on hand in case.

got it, thanks. so the thermostat fits in the hole, housing right over it and the foot holding everything in place. doesnt seem like a very good seal beween the thermostat and the housing, but i guess under some pressure, the thin metal outer edge of the thermostat will fit against it pretty tight.
i think the new housing i bought came with the o-ring you're talking about.

Your new housing should have a new "O" ring on it. Be sure to apply some lube or vaseline to the "O" ring prior to installing the housing. It can rip or tear on insertion.

I always put a small bead of permatex hi-temp rtv around the o-ring to help ensure there is not going to be any leaks once it's all back together. This has worked for many years without any problems or any leaks and i change the thermostat twice a year for summer and winter months. This may seem to be over doing it but it beats having to do the job twice from having a leak.

If you do use rtv make sure it's not The Right Stuff or Ultra Black because you may never get the housing off again.