Parallel flow condenser

Sal Lubrano

Our TR airconditioners are horrible at an idle. The old style fin and tube condenser worked OK but now there is new technologly. Can anyone develop a direct fit parallel flow condenser? Sure would be nice to have today in traffic.
Sal

I have one istalled in my car, works great, but not when its hot out. Seems when you have a front mount IC any condensor is useless. On average though you will get a 5 degree drop over the other condensor. if you don't have a front mount you maybe ok.

This is some typical data with a parallel flow condensor installed in a buick, new accumlator, new compressor, stock orifice tube
r-134 freon retrofit

ambient temp 84 F, 33% humidity
engine temp 172 F
center outlet temp 55 F MAX fan windows closed idle 850 rpm
low pressure side 40
High Pressure side 220
engine cooling fan 4000 CFM dual 12" fan 54 amp current draw
Cotton front mount IC

Engine rpm 1500 rpm

low side 30 psi
high side 275 psi
compressor runs continous
outlet temp 48 F

My 98 astro mini van on the same day puts out 42 F vent temps at idle contiunous without a parallel flow condensor as comparison.

I have touched the outlet side of the compressor lines and have burned my fingers its so hot! If the car is cold from the garage and start it up on the same day vent temps will be 42F until the engine heats up and gets heat soaked then the temps increase gradually.

Those temps sound typical for a TR. I have other vechiles as well which way out perfrom my GN. Looking at your pressures it might be a tad overcharged. You want just enough refergerant to make the outlet of the evaporator and the suction line to the compressor cold ans sweating. This insures the evaporator is flooded with ref. As you are charging the system your high side will climb until cold gas reaches the compressor thus cooling it off lowering the discharge pressure. At this point you are are charged because if you keep adding gas your high side will continue decreasing efficiency. If you look at these websites on thier boards they suggest discharge be no more than 2.5 times ambient at 1500RPM. So with 100 degree temp at the condenser that would be 250psig.
http://aircondition.com/
http://ackits.com/

Sal